D16Y7 Stock swap, Now auto trans problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EKJOE

Hey guys,
I smoked the D16y7 in my 97 Civic LX, Blew a hole right in the block while heading down the freeway to work. I recently purchased a D16y7 longblock with intake assembly from a yard, Very nice motor, It only has 80,000 miles on it and its still sporting the factory Honda timing belt.

I swapped the trans (which was working fine) from my blown motor onto the new one, Go threw the whole process...... and finally start the car. Motor purrrrs but has the the damn idle surge (on a honda? go figure.) My problem is with the trans.

Im completely unfamiliar with the honda auto trans,This was my first time doing an auto. So here's whats up, When putting it into drive it clunks pretty good then when you push the gas to go it feels like 5 parking breaks are holding me back and I just slowly creep forward. When you put it into reverse from drive it clucks louder and I cringe but the reverse gear seems to work fine, I have the full transfer of power.

The clunking makes me think something is wrong with the trans but there wasent anything wrong with it when I blew the other motor. I did do the front rotors and pads while re assembling the front suspension and had to compress the caliper piston to get the pads on which makes me think maybe it is a breaking problem.....Yet the big clunk which is not a break problem.

Looking for opinions on what I may have done wrong when connecting the trans to the motor, linkage hookup,fluid fill? Shit I dont know? but im pretty sure I did something wrong cause im a newb.

Ok first of all I forgot to fill the torque converter before attaching the trans, Will this fill itself properly under normal operating conditions? or do I have to pull it back out and fill it?

I think I know what the problem is when putting it into drive and barely going anywhere while reving to 2.5k. I believe that when I put the car into drive its not going into 1st gear but 3rd or 4th. What would cause something like that to happen?

I'm not familiar with auto trans but the "slipping" issue sounds like lack of fluid? Use Honda ATF?

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in; I know a lot of people with Accords have had problems with automatic transmissions.

Well I found it, Whats this called? I need the technical name for it. It doesnt show up under solenoid. Looks like a pressure switch of some sort, The plug was busted off it :/

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Thats it! Thanks so much bro! Thats what was causing my problem.

Back