d16y7 to d16y8 conversion wiring w/o vtech

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Impfac

I've been lurking a long time but can't find this specific answer(yes, I know its around somewhere, sorry!)

My 98LX d16y7 auto died almost a year ago, and I finally found andbolted in a complete d16y8 engine from a 97 dx auto.

I want to run it as is for the moment to make sure the engine isgood and because I'm sick of walking past my disabled civic every day for a year (say what you will but 96-2000 are ugly).

I know I need to do some wiring/change ECU for the vtech towork, but for the time being what issues will I run into doing:

97 dx auto y8 block+intake + 98 lx auto y7 wireharness + exhaust
Any advice/info/links/walkthroughs would be greatly appreciated.

Your thread is confusing.

DX is not VTEC equipped, unless someone already did the Y8 swap from an EX.

Do you know if the replacement motor has a Y8 head as well, or if you have an EX/VTEC harness?

Include specifics to get accurate answers/assistance.

Last edited:
Your thread is confusing.

DX is not VTEC equipped, unless someone already did the Y8 swap from an EX.

Do you know if the replacement motor has a Y8 head as well, or if you have an EX/VTEC harness?

Include specifics to get accurate answers/assistance.

Thank you for replying.

Perhaps I have the wrong trim, this is a junkyard motor and I may have mixed up. I'm going based on the list from the junkyard from when I did the pull but I may have my rows mixed up. I couldn't get the VIN off the block (only located on the timing belt cover, no?).

The engine is a y8 block and head, and it has what appears to me to be a vtech solonoid.

Besides my original question, the factory repair manual seems to indicate there is an extra vacuum connector from the fuel rail in the y5/y8 engines vs the y7 which I think has to do with the evap canister, I'm a little confused about what it is and what to do about it.

Heres 2 images if that helps:

2011-08-16152727.jpg

2011-08-16152841.jpg

It is a y8. Your fuel rail is backwards and fuel return like is not connected. Your missing sensors on top of tb,, map and maybe tps. You can help yourself by purchasing a manual to better guide you.

It is a y8. Your fuel rail is backwards and fuel return like is not connected. Your missing sensors on top of tb,, map and maybe tps. You can help yourself by purchasing a manual to better guide you.
fuel rail isnt backwards if it was the fuel line would not bolt up just a FYI.

to the original poster its spelled VTEC not VTECH vtec with a H makes phones and toys not solenoids anyway im not completely understanding your issue you are having if you are asking you you can make the motor run without VTEC being plugged up then the answer is yes run the y7 ecu

fuel rail isnt backwards if it was the fuel line would not bolt up just a FYI.

to the original poster its spelled VTEC not VTECH vtec with a H makes phones and toys not solenoids anyway im not completely understanding your issue you are having if you are asking you you can make the motor run without VTEC being plugged up then the answer is yes run the y7 ecu

what's up boosted!!!

The picture was up yesterday, now is deleted. His fuel return like was not hook up, the fuel pressure regulator should be the other way. I have two y8, and a y5 in my garage I'm tired of looking at it. All honda's FPR goes the other way because the fuel return is not long enought.:rimshot::confused:

what's up boosted!!!

The picture was up yesterday, now is deleted. His fuel return like was not hook up, the fuel pressure regulator should be the other way. I have two y8, and a y5 in my garage I'm tired of looking at it. All honda's FPR goes the other way because the fuel return is not long enought.:rimshot::confused:
well damn in his pic the Fuel Rail was on correctly the fuel line was bolted on it if the pics wernt gone you could see that

2011-08-16152727.jpg

2011-08-16152743.jpg

I wonder why my links got broken...

The fuel rail and everything attachedto it are the same as the service manual. It was pulled from a totalled vehicle and EVERYTHING was left alone, all electronics/vacuumconnectors were kept attached even if I wasn't using them just tomake my life easier.

I also noticed the missing MAP sensor,which I'll have to find a replacement for. Some stuff they pull whenprepping as it went out after close I was there when they opened.

Whats tripping me up is that on the y7there's vacuum and fuel connectors to the fuel pressure regulator,but on the y8 it indicates there is an additional 2P and vacuumconnector for the EVAP purge control solenoid valve.

It looks like on the y8 there is anextra vacuum connector for this purpose that is missing on my y7canister, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

I've read about wiring the sensor butnever run across a reference to the vacuum system being different.I've tried to research this one on my own or figure it out from theservice manual (I do try to find answers before asking) but I'm justnot sure about this.

here is the y7 block before the swap,with the evap canister and its lone engine vacuum connector. Doesthat just go to the purge control solenoid? Am I going to wind up short a vacuum connection somewhere?

2011-05-16145749.jpg

OOOppps...I'm wondering what I was looking at. So what was your question.

OOOppps...I'm wondering what I was looking at. So what was your question.

I was wondering too. The question is in the post right above yours, or see below.

one from the canister goes to the throttle body itself

Ok, BUT, what do I do with the vacuum connection on that evap solanoid thing that's on the y8 fuel rail itself? My y7 didn't have this vacuum connection.

Props on including photos!

You have us a little confused on what you are asking.
Y7 & Y8 have the same vacuum and coolant ports, just in different areas.

Post some pix of which items you are unsure of. By the looks of it the hose on the right is for your fuel pressure regulator which seems to be missing but can be pulled from the y7. The hose on the left may need to be lengthened, then fitted to the the evap solenoid mounted on the fuel rail. The 2 electrical connectors on the left is the IACV and TPS.
Did the salvage yard include the harness & ECU with that motor? If so VTEC will be plug and play.

If not , the y7 harness and ecu can still be used since this civic is auto. No VTEC, obviously.
Your y7 map will also work on that intake mani.
And no, the fuel rail is not backwards.

hi, im new in this forum and i have the same doubts of him. Is there a evap purge valve on the d16y7?? (the one on the fuel rail with a hose to the mani). if so, where is it? cheers from Chile.

Back