D16y7???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racerroy

Hi new to Honda power, bought my son a 97 civic to race at the local circle track, it has a D16Y7 engine which runs good but is lacking top end power,I have access to a D17A1 head and was wondering if this is a good swap or what would be a good next step? thanks in advance Roy

nah i wouldnt put that head on not only bc its not that easy but just not worth it, if it was me id just keep what you have and put a ex intake manifold on there or the ex head at most.

I'd look for a D16Y8 or D16Z6 head instead. The D17 isn't an awful motor, but it's worthless in terms of performance. They have a plastic intake manifold and just aren't very tuneable...

I could recomend the normal. Intake, Exhaust, headers, a cam gear... Maybe a piggy back ECU or a tune to your current one

Hi I just just picked up a d16y7 started to strip it down and noticed a couple things that I didn't think we're normal with the valves and pistons. A couple valve are pushed out. And the pistons are black and look somewhat burnt., what would cause this?

Hi I just just picked up a d16y7 started to strip it down and noticed a couple things that I didn't think we're normal with the valves and pistons. A couple valve are pushed out. And the pistons are black and look somewhat burnt., what would cause this?

your wasting your time for little too no power gain, pull the d-series out, go b-series, its stupid easy, and best bang for buck power swap

I want to get a h22 but for now I got the engine for a trade..the civic I have has no engine.. I'm just trying to get the car going before doing any swap

I want to get a h22 but for now I got the engine for a trade..the civic I have has no engine.. I'm just trying to get the car going before doing any swap

d17=poop and different electronics, throw a obd1 ls b18 in it, spend under 700 on a complete swap, go from there

The pistons sound pretty normal to be honest, as for the valves can you describe in greater detail what you see?

Also, are there any machine shops in the area?

Well the valves are ok not bent . I took the cam and they all went back in .. I'm going to get the head cleaned and put everything back together. I need to get a radiator . What's a ecu I can use cause the body didn't come with it

The stock ECU for that engine is a P2E which is OBD2. If the car is OBD1, that will make this swap slightly more tricky.

If the car is OBD1, I'd just get an OBD1 harness out of a Civic and run a chipped ECU with a stock d16y7 map on it.

Back