D16Y8 Advice Needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

johnson_racing

I have a 99' Honda Civic EX. Engine is a Y8 of course with just external bolt-ons done. My list of mods.

Ebay CAI
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
AEM Adjust. Fuel Pressure Reg. (35 psi)
AEM High Volume Fuel Rail
MSD Upgraded Cap & Rotor Kit
MSD Blaster SS Coil
MSD 8.5 mm Wires
NGK Iridium Plugs
Ebay Header
Megan High Flow CAT
Skunk2 Catback

Where to go from here? I am not sure. HELP.

Are you planning on maybe boosting this engine, or do you want to keep it NA? If you want to keep it NA, which would be the sensible thing to do, I would get a cam, then definitely get that ECU dyno tuned (crome tuning would be best).

and if you're really desperate for some power, a 50 or 60 shot of nitrous wouldn't really be too bad. just expect the life of your engine to decrease.

I want to put together a decent running y8, NA of course. Then next year I am gonna start on my new project, poormans ITR. I am just not too sure where to go from here.

ECU tuning? Does this site look alright for that? J-K Tuning - J-K Tuning

If you have the budget to port and polish I wouldn't do more than a stage 2 port and polish (check out Import Performance Parts - Import Performance Engine & Racing Parts for the description of the different stages). It's definitely worth it though. I would go with a Stage 1 cam to keep your NA streetable. I have heard good things about skunk2's cams, but I won't tell you for sure until i actually put one in mine.

Other than that, adjustable cam gear, get rid of your A/C if you're willing, Loop your Power steering to get rid of it, and get an N1 pulley for your alternator. Getting rid of your power steering and looping it will give you much better road feel. Just search it here and on Honda-tech, there's a couple good detailed threads about it.

after getting rid of the drag on your crank, all you really have left to do is lose weight! gut anything you don't want cosmetically or mechanically. I ended up gutting not only my AC compressor, but the condensor and all the lines. it freed up a LOT of space around my header, and i'm thinking about throwing an integra full size radiator in there. Something you might want to consider if you are considering autox or taking it to the strip.

35 Psi? I run mine at 45... have you put bigger injectors in? Best thing to do would just be to get that dyno tune to map your fuel just right. get at least a 190 Lph fuel pump too. I just put a Holley 190LPH in my civic and it's running great.

About J K Tuning, never dealt with them. They look reputable. give em a try, let me know what you think.

hope that helps.

just keep in mind that the stock P2P ecu in your car now is NOT program-able so anything you choose to do next beside the vtec controller is going to requier a new ecu (P28 ECU and a pigy back system or chip for the tunning)

Back