1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16y8 Block Vs. D16z6 Block?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by BlackDelSol, Jun 8, 2003.

1. BlackDelSol

BlackDelSol Banned

I'm gona build the "panda" D series engine vary soon, but i dont know witch block i should get.

I found a post on www.Dsreies.org about a z6 head vs. a y8 head, but nothing on the block.

what block is better for boost? whats the diffeance between the two?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I think the blocks are pretty much the same except for the pistons... the Y8 pistons have a deeper dish I think.

3. mical0259

mical0259 Junior Member

4. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

What's a panda D series?

5. phunky.buddha

He's just calling it a "Panda D series"... there's no "Panda" named setup out there. It's just a piston/rod combo that was being sold by a guy named TurboPanda on Honda-Tech, which is basically a budget forged piston setup for boost on a D block.

6. BlackDelSol

BlackDelSol Banned

A "panda" d series is called a panda because it uses toyota pistons and rings from japan. they are pistons and rings from a Jdm twin turbo supra that or forged aluminume from the factory and fit into a d series block prefect. it also uses b16a rods, but i'm going to have my b16 rods shoot piened for more strangth.

7. phunky.buddha

No, it's because a guy on Honda-Tech that goes by the name "TurboPanda" started selling that combination out of Thailand about a year ago.

8. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

Thanks Calesta - I found the original posts on HT. It yields like 8.1:1 right? And you have to notch your block for the rods to fit right? Toyota pistons in a Honda? Huh... Not sure what I think...
    BTW - sweet spelling of aluminume :lol:

9. BlackDelSol

BlackDelSol Banned

lol. thanks, i'm not gona fight with you about it, i think i'm right (I'v been talking to him alot for the last 6 months, he made his name on H-T becaus of his engine, not the other way around) , and you think your right, it doesnt realy matter. anyways, yea, you have to notch your block for the big b16 robs to fit. the pistons are the same bore but the pin is higher wich is one reason you need b16 robs. another reason you need the b16 rods is to handle the boost, d16 rods are week as shit.

10. boxinggsxr

boxinggsxr New Member

does any1 have he panda guys name so i can pm him for some parts i need or if you guys can ask him to pm me

11. phunky.buddha

Read the rest of the thread. TurboPanda has never been on HondaSwap. The post just above that you replied to tells you where to find him. The post above was also made 6 years ago. Congratulations. Not a record holder, but close.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted