D16Y8 bottom end, spun bearing for $75. Is it worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ichigo1174

VIP
As the title suggests i found a bottom end to a D16Y8 for $75. I've been wanting to do a mini-me but my engine has a few miles. So I'd rather get another engine and rebuild it.

So I want 200-250whp in the end. I have decided that I could do a motor swap or as i am wanting to do. I want to rebuild a D series engine and turbo it. So that away I can get my hands dirty, learn a few things and yeah.

My question is, Just because the block spun a rod bearing, would I have to worry about the block being damaged? Also what kind of damages happens inside the engine when this happens?

spun bearing

I have been building engines for over 30 yrs. Most of the time if the main bearing have spun it was because of lack of oil, usually tho it is the rod bearings that have spun and not the mains. From the sound of your post you don't have a head with it but this is what to look for if you have a complete engine. Because it has been run low on oil or at the very least it was not getting enough oil to keep everything lubed properly, you should do a complete rebuild from a bare block. Be sure to inspect the cyl. walls for scoring marks and have it checked for out of round as well as top to bottom taper. As far as the bearings, you might get away with just polishing the crank, but most of the time you will have to have it turned and run undersized (thicker) bearings. If you had one bearing that spun then the rest of them were prob. not getting oil either, check everything in the bottom end. You may have to replace the crank. The block should not have any prob. unless they ran it till a rod broke and started beating everything else:eek:. Also check your cam(s) for wear on the lobes and the cam bearings. If it wasn't getting oil the the crank then it was def. not getting oil to the cams.

Good luck,

Dieseltim

Back