D16Y8, Can You ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by H0ndap0w3r@Dec 24 2002, 11:02 PM
1st of all a zc head will bolt up to a d16z6/ y8. the head gaskets are indentical. ive matched them up b4. and i asked people. and they all said it will fit.

said, sure. prove it. we are still waiting for pics from the d15b7dohc tool shed who said he had it, and was gonan show us pics... well, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY..

it doesn't fit without a lot of machine work. period.

thank you B. Identical head gaskets means exactly DICK. So two engines has cylinders and coolant lines in the same place, they must be able to swap heads.

Who did you ask about putting heads on? 'I've asked people' for all we know you asked your 8 year old sister and your chevy-loving grandfather.

Again, even if it DOES work, why would you do it? You're putting a '13 year old' head onto a brand new block? Why doesn't the reliability issue go both ways in terms of the ZC head and block?

I didn't push the turbo option, I just told him the only way he is going to be happy with a D block. Let's make a little comparison, okay?

AEM CAI-$200
DC Header-$300
A'pex N1 exhaust-$500
ECU Chip from a REPUTABLE place-----you know what I was just thinking, tool? A D16Y8 is an OBD2 motor, so where the fuck do you think you are going to get a chip for that?! Very few places do it, and only for outrageous prices! Idiot!
(if you still want a chip, here we go:)
OBD2-->1 adapter: $250
ECU chip: $100
VTEC Controller: $350 new
Dyno tune: $200

grand total for your 'bolt-ons':$1900!!
Price for a ks-motorsports non-intercooled kit WITH Hondata:$2900!

Why the fuck would he waste $1900 on bolt-ons that will net him MAX 15 peak hp when for just a grand more he can have a complete turbo setup? Remember, when going turbo, the chip (350), the intake (200), and the header (300) are obsolete. So if he does decide to go turbo, he will be out $850!

Again, choice phrases that make nobody believe you:
'naturally asprited and boost is turbo related. '
'you also have to worrie bout smog, those bastards!!! '
'and yes i do know what a chipped ecu does. and you dont get shitty gas mileage. and just a little power. well there is the option of a stand alone engine management which cost about 1200 or so. thats the best option but not for the price. but you do get more power through out the power band. you get a higher rev limiter, and a better fuel curve. and you lose like 20 mi to the tank. so thats not that bad. '

Thank you, drive through.

naturally asprited and boost is turbo related.

n/a, is that fuel injected !!!

yes, i'm driving this car every day !!!

1st of all a zc head will bolt up to a d16z6/ y8. the head gaskets are indentical. ive matched them up b4. and i asked people. and they all said it will fit. the v tec bottom end is stronger then an 13 year old zc bottom end. you have a twin cam head. and you raise compression. this was only a suggestion because he asked if head changes could be done. and they can.
but you lose the v tec.

ROFL....stop...yer..killin...me...here..getting...cramps..

ok the boost and n/a thing was my bad. it didnt come out the way i thought it would. so there my bad ok shit. but they will bolt up. a j spec dohc head to a d16z6 ok, it can be done...

and ur getting fucken ripped off at those prices. who ever said u need an ame intake your paying for the damn name. and chips arent that expensive ok so ur sources are fucked up. and ur getting ripped. i can get an ame intake for like 160 new. a chip for $30+ core (stock ecu). a 5 zigen exhaust for 250, an the piping from an exhaust shop. so lets see that 160 +30+250=440. so i dont now where u came up with those figures.

Who cares what the prices are? Quit now while you're only a football field's length behind... no matter how much it costs, you'll be throwing away the intake/header/chip when you go turbo. If it only costs you $440, that's $440 wasted.

Research your info before you start spamming it all over the place... there's no point to putting a ZC head on a SOHC VTEC D block.

You heard 220whp on a turbo D16Y8 with stock internals from ME. Yes, it can be done- but it takes very careful tuning. Significantly more than 220whp on a built D16Y8 is possible, but it's not easy.

no actually it was from that guy that has the greddy banner on him sig or what ever that is. i got that from when i was asking about the greddy turbo. ok so calm down

Okay, I think I'm finally ready to respond to that crap...

A DOHC D head cannot fit onto a SOHC D block. Period! Let's try some ascii drawings here:

SOHC
-------------------
DOHC
----------------------

o=head bolt
x=space filler
=,|| = cam
___,--- = edges of head

There is no way that they can bolt up due to the fact that where there are bolts on a SOHC head, there are cams on a DOHC head blocking it.

Your AEM intake at $160 new: Where?
Your $30 Chip: What brand/program? Do you know what a Mugen/Spoon clone chip is? A tuning company builds a FULL RACE SPEC CAR (we're talking new internals, UNSTREETABLE cams, etc.) and then puts the fuel map for THAT engine onto a chip and sells it to you, who has NONE of the same mods that race car has, and makes you think you have a fast car after that. You say it gives you more power? PROVE IT ON A DYNO WITH YOUR ECU AND ENGINE. You say it gives equal fuel mileage: PROVE IT BY MEASURING AND CALCULATING WITH A CALCULATOR. Just this week I drove to and from my mom's house in my dad's Mazda MX-6 LS V6 and got 24.311 MPG. I calculated that, you can do the same.
5zigen exhaust (which I would not use, but that is beside the point):$250
Mandrel-bent custom piping (which will NOT yield the same gains that a full cat-back system from a reputable company will gain): $200
The header you forgot to mention:$300
The VTEC Controller you forgot to mention:$350
That OBD2-->1 adapter you'll still need to run your chip:$250
The OBD1 ECU you need: $150
Grand total(with YOUR prices):$1690
That's without a dyno tune for that VAFC you bought.

If you want to talk prices, there are your prices. If you want to talk tech, let's talk tech.

With a turbocharger, you need a custom exhaust manifold through which exhaust gases can turn the turbine(?) in the turbocharger in order to force air through the piping and into the intake manifold. So there goes your header.

With a turbocharger, a line runs from your turbo to your intake manifold, so your AEM intake is now useless (unless you want to run it from the turbo, in which case it will drag along the ground).

With a turbocharger, you need an ECU that can understand positive boost pressure in the intake manifold and has a fuel map for it, so your chip is now useless.

With a turbocharger, the settings on your VAFC have to be retuned for boost, so the dyno tuning you did for a N/A setup is now useless.

Any questions?

Originally posted by H0ndap0w3r@Dec 27 2002, 01:56 PM
no actually it was from that guy that has the greddy banner on him sig or what ever that is. i got that from when i was asking about the greddy turbo. ok so calm down

Actually, I am calm. I just hate seeing a ton of misinformation being spewed all over the place. I honestly don't care if you got your hearsay Greddy turbo information from me or "Knowledge", but just keep in mind to get your information straight before you go throwing it everywhere. If you're not sure, say so.

ok sounds good. and the ecu w/ chip is a core trade in. give him ur old ecu he gives u a new ecu thats chipped, go buy another chip from this guy named paul. plug it in and there u go.

so ur all saying that u like hitting the rev at o lets say 6800 for a 5th gen civic ????

the place

and i got hook ups here so i get a discount on every thing there so u can look around there prices are good. well i can see for your self but i think they are

ok, there is a lot of MISINFORMATION in this post...

zc heads don't work on d-series bottom ends. end of story.

and d-series motors are somewhat limited unless you rebuild the entire motor and raise compression levels substantially.

save your money, and get a b-series motor. its easier and just a better powerplant.

Back