D16y8 crx swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

edgar89crx

Hello i need some help with a motor swap im doing. To start off i have a d16y8 motor that i wanna put in an 89 crx hf. I just needed help on what ohter parts im gonna need for the swap and so far i have these parts. Thanks

d16y8 with an 89 crx si tranny bolted up
ob0 to 0b1 conversion harness
p28 ecu
obd-1 dizzy

you will need aftermarket mount kit (like Hasport) and shift linkage - you will need to use the HF engine wiring harness and do the wiring changes to it

But as far injectors can i use the ones on the d16 motor or will i have to use the ones off the crx hf. Also since im converting it to obd1 i was told i needed an obd-1 distributer is this true?

But as far injectors can i use the ones on the d16 motor or will i have to use the ones off the crx hf. Also since im converting it to obd1 i was told i needed an obd-1 distributer is this true?
you can use the D16Y8 injectors - you just need to remove the injector resistor box from the system - you will need OBD1 distributor

Thanks also one more thing the obd-0 to obd-1 one harness that i have doesnt have the extra wires for the 4-wire o2 sensor. Is it possible to run the car with out the 4-wire o2 sensor.

Thanks also one more thing the obd-0 to obd-1 one harness that i have doesnt have the extra wires for the 4-wire o2 sensor. Is it possible to run the car with out the 4-wire o2 sensor.
not without getting a check engine light for O2

you will need aftermarket mount kit (like Hasport) and shift linkage - you will need to use the HF engine wiring harness and do the wiring changes to it

I dont think u need aftermarket mounts and shift linkage
They are using the cable tranny so shift linkage and mounts should be the same, as long as the driver mount and bracket is moved from the old motor.

As for the O2 I dont remember what position's the wires go to the ECU but there is an O2 heater and an O2 heater sensor. The O2 heater needs the same voltage power source the injectors have.

I dont think u need aftermarket mounts and shift linkage
They are using the cable tranny so shift linkage and mounts should be the same, as long as the driver mount and bracket is moved from the old motor.

As for the O2 I dont remember what position's the wires go to the ECU but there is an O2 heater and an O2 heater sensor. The O2 heater needs the same voltage power source the injectors have.
you are correct - i thought he was doing a B-series - got it mixed up with different thread

nice write up . but im also doing a y8 swap
i want to know if i can keep it obd-0 and what parts i must remover from my y8 engine to keep it obd-0

you just need to remove the injector resistor box from the system

When I swapped a b16 into my CRX I totally overlooked the fact that I had high impedance injectors (it was an OBD1 B16 running OBD0 electronics) and a resistor box. Car actually ran fine except idle sucked, I guess 02 correction was enough to make it run okay. I felt really stupid when I finally figured that out

Anyway, I don't think there's really anything that needs to be removed on the y8, just need a hacked OBD0 ecu to activate VTEC right?

Back