D16Y8 Head on D16Z6 block? Various ?'s

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok I have a few questions here... my friend whos doing my swap said that I couldn't swap a Z6 in because there is a sensor (?) near the crankshaft that, once done, the car won't start or run. What the fuck is he talking about?

Will this configuration work?

D16Z6 block w/D16Y8 Head?
What do I need to swap a Z6 in place of a Y8????? Please this is urgent. He told me to dig up information on it and I am supposed to get the engine today.

I would suggest telling us what kind of car this is going into, then it will be easier to help you.

There is no sensor near the crankshaft on a D16Z6...

D16Y8 will readily bolt on the D16Z6 block. Don't see why you would do it since the Z6 head flows more.

I'm assuming that this is going into an obd2 car which has a crank sensor. OBD1 cars do not have this sensor and that is why the Z6 won't work in your car. To make it work I would get an obd1 ecu and a conversion harness. While your at it get the ecu chipped. It is well worth while to do it anyway. Then your car will be running obd1 and won't be looking for that sensor.

In OBD1 and older cars, the crank sensor is in the distributor. Not sure how the pulse is read but I'm sure it should still work.

Back