D16Y8 into 90 Rex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

alright my friend just bought a 90 rex today, fucking clean as hell. it has 195k miles, but the interior and the restof the car looks like it shouldnt have more that 50k on it. It was owned by and older man, garaged, and looks like it had seat covers on it for years.It is a DX model. He bought it up in Carlsbad, which is about 20 min. form san Diego, so i got to drive it home. it rides really good, just needs simple stuff, alignment, rear brakes, new shifter bushings, oil change, coolant change, etc. Other than that the car is immaculate. Well someone here in the Market forum has a Y8 for sale and my friend wants it, so i ahve to ask a stupid Q i should already know the answer to. What all do i need to do this swap? Does it need to be converted to OBD2? well i know everything about how to do the swap, just wondering about the OBD and which ECU to run. My friend will want the right ECu, no alternate VTEC engagement. And which tranny would you recommend for this. I personally like the DX gearing, but how is the Si different, more top end? shorter gears? never drove one so i dont know.

any good input will help.

about the OBD, i saw Calesta talking about putting a Z6 into a rex and saying switching to OBD1 isnt that hard. so is there a lot more to OBD2? or is there and easier way to do this swap and get it running good?

BTW this is going to jsut be for some extra power until we get a B18c5 or an LS/VTEC built up

or do you think i should forget the Y8 swap and just Junkyard turbo the DX motor for now?

EDIT: I founf 2 different motors on HS here that would be good. A D15B VTEC or the Y8. the D15 would be a hell of a lot less work right? Both are about the same price and the D15 has a 6 month warranty. Here's the links:
D16Y8

D15B

Now which one should i get?

Do a forum search or two? lol. It sounds like a common swap but maybe everyone is just too lazy to write up a reply for you... Well I just wanted to say that I prefer OBD1 over OBD2. There is just so much more flexibility in working with an OBD1 ECU.

well i was figuring that the OBD 1 would be easier to do, i was just checking out the harnesses form JHP.

which ECU is best to use?

Well for the swap you have to do all the dpfi to mpfi. this entitles a new intake man and EVERYTHING on it. You also need a d16a6 dizzy, ecu, and injector relay. Also you don't need to change obd to use the z6 engine. All you need to do is use the a6 dizzy and ecu (the a6 dizzy will bolt up to the y8 engine.) It is really not that hard of a swap. If this is to vague then ask more questions.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jan 12 2005, 07:01 PM
Is it safe to assume that you don't live in Cali? lol. I'd go with a stock P28 ECU for it.
[post=444787]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I'm in Cali, thats why the swap has got to be done right to get it reff'd

Well for the swap you have to do all the dpfi to mpfi. this entitles a new intake man and EVERYTHING on it. You also need a d16a6 dizzy, ecu, and injector relay. Also you don't need to change obd to use the z6 engine. All you need to do is use the a6 dizzy and ecu (the a6 dizzy will bolt up to the y8 engine.) It is really not that hard of a swap. If this is to vague then ask more questions.
Thanks for the info that makes it sound easier. But you said a D16a6 ECU, thats not VTEC, so what would i do for the VTEC?

I would go with the apexi unit or the fields boxer unit. Both control vtec and Air/fuel ration stuff. I had the boxer unit and it took only 4 easy wires to hook up to control vtec (power, ground, rpm from dizzy, and vtec wire to selaniod. My mini-me swap run great with it.

Originally posted by 69crx69@Jan 13 2005, 08:14 PM
I would go with the apexi unit or the fields boxer unit. Both control vtec and Air/fuel ration stuff. I had the boxer unit and it took only 4 easy wires to hook up to control vtec (power, ground, rpm from dizzy, and vtec wire to selaniod. My mini-me swap run great with it.
[post=445377]Quoted post[/post]​

Can you link to where I can find the unit you're talking about? So this would mean I wouldn't need the ECU swap when doing the Z6 head on my 1990 Civic HB DX?

Originally posted by blink182house+Jan 15 2005, 03:43 PM-->
@Jan 13 2005, 08:14 PM
[post=445377]Quoted post[/post]​

Can you link to where I can find the unit you're talking about? So this would mean I wouldn't need the ECU swap when doing the Z6 head on my 1990 Civic HB DX?
[post=446124]Quoted post[/post]​

You still need the ECU. A piggyback fuel controller doesn't do anything about how many injectors your ECU can run- and your stock ECU only controls 2.

That's the best way- or you can use a PM6 with a VAFC. Just as long as you have a way to control VTEC, adjust your fuel maps to match, and an ECU that controls 4 injectors you'll be fine.

Originally posted by senate_9427@Jan 12 2005, 04:10 AM
What all do i need to do this swap? Does it need to be converted to OBD2? well i know everything about how to do the swap, just wondering about the OBD and which ECU to run. My friend will want the right ECu, no alternate VTEC engagement.
[post=444525]Quoted post[/post]​

You have a few choices when converting OBD generations. If you want to run the OBD2 setup, I can make you an OBD0-OBD2 conversion harness to run the OBD2 ecu.

Or you can convert to OBD1 and run a P28 ecu. Either way, you will still be able to use the OBD2 distributor, injectors and 4 wire O2 sensor. The only issue I will would into is getting it Ref'd in Cali. Either way, let me know if I can help out.

Jason
OBD Ecu Harnesses
www.JKobdconversionharness.com

Back