D16y8 Into An '85 Crx Hf...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Would the mounts from the carbed d15 SI work with the d16y8? Or is the d16 head taller than the d15? Also, is the tranny hydro or cable?

Thanks.

well, ... the mounts i know nothing about, but the engine hight should be fine, i have a friend that stuck a b16a in a 88Si and it fit fine so u should be ok too. the tranny is cable, and so ur next tranny also has to be cable.

Will I need to go with a different or chipped ecu since we're not using abs? Should I go with an '88-91 crx cable tranny or is the hydro to cable conversion fairly straight forward? What are some common problems I might encounter? Has anyone done this swap?

Sorry bout all the stupid questions. I'm more of an h series guy. Plus the search here doesn't work for me and 1g crx info is scarce.

Thanks

SleEPeR_CRX WTF are you talking about. He has a first gen crx which, eventhough its a d15 it is nothing like the 2nd gen. What does your friend with an 88 si have to do with his question. Please don't post info unless you are atleast 95% sure its true or atleast say you aren't 100% sure.

racerx h23 This can be done. The d series only have one mount on the engine on the drivers side. Since your car is carbed you will have to find an intake manifold that will accept carbs, or you could do a shit load of work and convert to fuel injection. You will need to find a cable tranny. For the ecu I have no idea but to use the one from the y8 you will have to convert to obd2 which will probably be a bitch. There are other ways to activate vtec though.
For all the work you will have to do to get this to work right, I do not think its worth it. If you are doing all this work go with a b series or an h series. Hasport makes a mount kit to fit a b series engine in there.
Try going to www.crx.org or, I believe, redpepperracing.com both of which will have more first gen guru's than we have here. We lack first gen knowledge.

Actually, I was going to swap the entire engine. Thanks for the info!

Back