1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16y8 Problem!!!!!HELP!!

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by mrme, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mrme

mrme New Member

ok heres the thing..frind gots a 98 ex..hes having a start up issue..takes like 5mins for him to start up(not running yet)..then after he can get it 2 turn on...he has to put his foot on the gas to warm it up so it will stay on..or else it dies...he wants to go turbo...so he was 2 eager and put in his crower stage 1 cam shaft(turbo/nos cam)..thought it was a dumb idea, but ey its his car...so yea he has the crower cam, adjustable cam gear, and intake....he thinks it's his battery(cus it wont start)..but i think it's his cams that are making his car not run right.....any help on what u might think it is....any help is appreciated!! [​IMG][​IMG]

yes it is a single head!!

also his car is timed(ignition) and also wondeing if he installs his injector(dsm 450cc), and his ecu w/ chip for injectors, will it help his problem

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

This could be multiple issues.

first order of business, you say he has a 98 EX, yet you say camS. I dont know if that's habit or he's got a dohc motor.

Could be the starter going out for one. Or the ignition coil. Plugs. Wires.

Did he do the work 100% correct? Did he change the springs and retainers too?

3. mrme

mrme New Member

yes single head..my bad..edited prev post
    he had a shop put in the cam and cam gear, nothing done on the head(no springs and retainer)<-might be the problem?
    his car turns over..so i dont think its the starter has a hesatating start...like a carbrator kinda(not sure how to explain it)
    the plugs are new, wires new, new dist cap and rotor..

4. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

first thing,,is there any check codes

5. mrme

mrme New Member

yea a code for ect sensor..but he changing the ect 2day..cus he annoyed of the cel...is the ect gonna cause this problem??

6. AHHVTEC

yes fic the codes first

7. dtob

dtob New Member

I don't think your problem lies in the ect but more in the fact that you installed an aftermarket cam in a car that is running a stock map in the ecu. Time to chip and tune in that cam.

Also springs and retainers are probably not a bad idea if you don't like dropping valves.

8. mrme

mrme New Member

yea i told him(guy who owns car) that he might need retainers, and valves...but he might not have enough money..and skills to put them it...he probably will take it to a shop to do it...also he has a apexi Neo..can we use tat to help his problem??? and he has a chipped ecu(not installed) for his injectors??will that work??

9. dtob

dtob New Member

valves are not required but springs certainly are.

If his ecu is "chipped" for the injectors it won't have the tune for the cam in it. You need to do that with the car running.

10. mrme

mrme New Member

ok it wasnt his ect sensor he said, but he changed it any way..it was his thermal sensor(on the thermostat housing(change also)...now he says his car starts up fine..no more waiting...thing is tat his cel is still on..and he keep his foot on the gas(1000rpm) or it dies...i'll see if i can get a video 4 u guys 2 see wat u think

11. mrme

mrme New Member

UPDATE: sensors have been replaced..one conector that was broke has also been replaced...the car still has cel..had a shop scan tool it and it is the ect...b/c when cold and on "on " postion..it reads the temp at 420 degrees..wierd.....here is a vid of it...any help is still appreciated...
    [​IMG]

12. mrme

mrme New Member

**also he is stepping on the gas-halfway, and full during the vid..but no rpm change for about 5 mins

13. AHHVTEC

have you tried using a diff ecu

14. mrme

mrme New Member

could that be it??? can we use his chipped ecu(for his injectors)??even though his injectors are not on?

15. AHHVTEC

id try to find a friend that has the same kind of ecu and just swap it out for a min to see if it works

16. mrme

mrme New Member

thing is that we tried a different ecu(mine)..and it didnt do nothing sound like this even when warm...but he tried hooking up his obd1 ecu(chipped for injectors) with his jumper harness the car started up and ran fine....took it for a drive...but can't rev past 4k.....put his obd2 back on..runs fine..drove it around the block but at about 5k it back fires alot up front(popping noise)...only runs good when warm....also he has a cel...the shop said it was his ect sensor..cus it read 410 degrees at just "on"..changed sensor, and the connector(b/c it was crushed)...dont knoe wat is goin on now....his car is possesed!!

17. AHHVTEC

sounds like some kind of timing issue

18. mrme

mrme New Member

yea the people i've talk to on other forums say it is the cam shaft timing..and that its off a bit

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted