d16y8 problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMBoOsT

on my car when i first start it cold it wont idle on its own. also when it does it idles REALLY low smooth but low. its 2000 ex coupe with the stock y8. also if barley give it any gas up to around 1500 rpms it wont stay steady it bounces from like 1500-1600 rpms, it almost sounds like a 2-step set at 1500 for some stupid reason. any info anyone?

Do you have a CEL?

If you start it, and cover up the throttle body with your hand, does it die? Try calibrating the idle air adjustment.

dont touch your idle adjustment screw yet... check on the coolant temp sensor, its probably not good anymore.

Ever since my car was new (same year and engine), only in the winter once the engine warmed up, it would idle at like 300rpm. It still does that, only in winter....

dont forget to check the coolant level if its low its not going to idle correctly

ok i had autozone check the CELs and it came back saying speed sensor, and o2 sensors. but i went ahead and replace IACV with one i had laying around. it helped a little bit but still wants to idle around 300 or so. the needle is just above the 0 on the stock tach. my autometer tach i cant tell cause it jumps too bad when its that low. but this idle bump is what has me stuck. if i barley prress the gas to 1500 it bumps to 1500 and 1600. i just noticed to that when i rev it past 1500 like 2 or 3 grand or so when it revs back down exatly to the spot where it bumps it will pop or backfire not loud just no matter where i rev it to on the way back down every time when the needle hits that spot it will do it. almost sounds like it is shutting off but comes back in a spilt second. anyone have a problem like this? i had eg coupe with a z6 the would do the same thing but it would do this bump at idle, not like this when i have to barley give it gas

did you replace the sensors that came up bad?
fix that then do another CEL check, after the codes have been erased.

Back