D16Y8 Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

About a month ago I got a little adventurous and decided to look into an intake
for my car. I had researched CAI's but working a $7.25 an hour job they didn't seem
too practical. So I opted for a spectre intake kit from autozone for about fifty
bucks instead. Well a little after I installed it I noticed a small amount of knocking
but since I was out with my girl I figured it could wait until I got home. Well on the
way to her house I noticed the knocking getting gradually worse and around 1/4 mile from
her house it turns to machine gun hammering type knocking and my engine makes a very
high pitched squeal and dies. I eventually got it to start only once again after about
thirty minutes and a million tries to be met with a very high pitched squealing and grinding
noise and shut it right back down. I had a buddy from my fire department tow it back to
my house. Now there it sits. I believe the damage in due to detonation from my air intake
leaning out my A/F ratio. When I go to start the car the engine struggles and throws a very
loud fit. What kind of damage am I looking at and would an engine rebuild kit be able to
get my engine running again? I'm not interested in swaps or what I should have or could
have done, just a simple and cheap (as possible) way to get my engine running again. Thanks.

its could be alot of things wrong with it. Rod bearings , cracked piston , bent rod, and for the way to get it running rebuild it or get a new motor easy as that

The air filter will lean out the car a little bit, but not nearly enough to cause detonation. I have seen people run a car without an intake at all (no filter, open TB) with no problems.

The best thing for you to do would be to pull the motor and determine whether or not the head is usable. The bottom end most likely won't be. But your main hope right now should be that the head is okay. If so, you can rebuild the bottom end provided there isn't too much damage, or you could search for another d16 bottom end. That would be the cheapest route.

Also, start searching your local junkyards for d16y8 engines, you're gonna need one.

ive been considering buying a new engine (somewhat of a direct replacement) but D16Y8's are fairly expensive. Ive seen D15's (96-00 with the three stage vetc) and ive also seen sohc zc 96-00 motors and both look exactly identical to my engine. im trying to find something that wll work with all my same parts off my engine and my same ecu. will either (or both) of these engines be able to use my stock ecu, and will the zc hook up to my existing transmission?

Back