d16y8 (spun rod bearing) swapping in y5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryaned380

k my 96 ex d16y8 completely stock spun bearing and now i'm just wanting to swap in a good motor. Having a hard time finding a y8 around but found a good y5 for $450. From what i've researched this is the economy version vtech. Anyways if i swapped this y5, will it just be a direct swap? And should I get an ecu from y5 civic hx?

You are essentially downgrading engines, yes the engine swap will be up and down, just get the right ecu for the motor. You got it. But I wouldn't. Try to find the y8.

Can't find a y8 but was talking to local honda shop they said I could take the head from my y8 and stick it on the y5 so I wouldn't be down grading but have pretty much the same engine. Would it really be as easy as it sounds? Should I worry about possible metal shaving from the spun rod bearing?

oh found on one forum that basically I will need to take the 4-wire O2 sensor from the y8 and replace the 5-wire O2 on the y5. Correct?
b16y5 to a y8 swap - Honda Forum / Acura Forum - SuperHonda.com
"The only major issue with the Y8 changeover is the primary O2 sensor. HX used a 5-wire wideband O2, the Y8 used the standard 4-wire O2. you need to get any regular 4-wire O2 & change the harness plug to match, making sure you get the right wires in the right pinouts. Check the HX ecu diagram against the Y8 for colors or inspect a friends car who has a stock 4-wire."

If you stick your head on the y5, all you are essentially doing is a minime. You will still have the stock limitations such as rev limit due to the fact your pistons and rods are not capable of spinning to 6800. Keep this in mind. Most people dont give a fk and will go treat it like an y8 anyways, but just fair warning.

Keep us posted. You can get a 4wire 02 on ebay for like 70bucks lol, not a big deal at all.

K just picked up y8 with a bad head for $170. Came with EX tranny. The cuase of the bad head is the guy i bought from had bought early 90s civic with y8 from kid and kid put dif cam in and didn't "lash" it so exhuast valves stuck open on cylinder two and guy said motor ran alright just strong smell of burned gas.

Anyways, I just pulled the oil pan off and noticed chunks of flat copper in screen of oil sucker thing and in the bottom of the pan. They were all not smaller than 1/8" and a couple were 1/4" long. The guy said something about copper stuff for head gasket could these

Back