D16Y8 swap and 1500-1900 rpm surge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i just swaped my old y7 for a y8 and i have this strange surge that makes the car sound like it has a huge cam. The problem accures at about 1500 and last till about 1900 rpm. i have checked the timing and plug gap and it runs great at other rpm ranges. im using a obd2 p2p and i modified my harness to make it work but i dont think this is the problem.

ok i have removed the iac and pluged the holes and the car still runs the same way. Its not an ignition problem I check all cyl with timing light and they were firing just fine. Does any one have any ideas as to what could be causind this could it be a injector or somthing.

well i haven hade a chance to check i do get a secondiary o2 code so the light is allways on i will have to check the codes then post back

ok these are the codes does any any one have any ideas.
1. Idle speed Controll Aux. (Did i have to changes any pins on ecu or just the conector when using the y7 harness.)

2. Evap Emission controll. (have kow idea?)

3. Ignition System Misfire. (has ney coil, cap, rotor and there all OEM, timing is correct and has new plugs(gaped correctly) and wires.

thanks for any help that can be given

Originally posted by 97hatch@Nov 21 2003, 05:26 PM
ok these are the codes does any any one have any ideas.
1. Idle speed Controll Aux. (Did i have to changes any pins on ecu or just the conector when using the y7 harness.)

2. Evap Emission controll. (have kow idea?)

3. Ignition System Misfire. (has ney coil, cap, rotor and there all OEM, timing is correct and has new plugs(gaped correctly) and wires.

thanks for any help that can be given

#'s 1 and 3 could and would cause you to surge! As for #1 I don't know! As for #3 on my old civic I threw a CEL when I needed a tune up cause my shit was misfiring and surging. I did a tune up and all was well after that!

I wanna know what ur problem ends to be, becuase I have the same exact type of thin on my LS (but I can't check the codes yet). When it hit's 1500 rpm it just kindas sits there hesitating to rise, if i step on the gas a little harder it'll just pass right through the surge. This only happen with light throttle.

Yeah I had the same problem, becasue I did a mini me swap on my 98 lx, and I was runing lean, and I couldn't find out why, i already changd my o2 twice, and it was still running lean. So i called honda and i told them what i did and they said becasue you put a ex head on a lx engine we cannot troubleshoot it. So i asked them if i should of used a ex ecu and he said YES. So i then i asked around at some honda forums and i was getting replys that i should use the ex ecu, well then i bought one from HAP recycling, then when i put it in it was Ideling at like 1500+ rpm, it sounded like shit, and got the same codes. And my car was still running lean, SO I said what the Fuck. Then I bought a o2 sensor form HAP recycling and BAAMMM my lean problem was GONE. So then i sold my ex ecu, and kept my lx ecu and activated my vtec with a summit rpm switch which works great til this day. . But since you have the whole engine and the ecu, you should just buy a ex engine harness. because i now that the ex has a 2 wire Idel air control plug, and the y7 engines have a 3 wire. just changing the plugs on the y7 harness won't do it, because if you have a manual for you car like a helms, or haynes, you can look at the wiring diagram in the back and you can see that the ex 2 wire go to differnt pins and the y7 3 wire go to differnt pins, so to save all that trouble and what I think will help solve all your problems is to just buy a ex wire harness.

Back