d16y8 swap to B18C5 Type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dirtyrussian16

I have a 96 civic EX(d16y8) auto and i wanted to swap to a b18c5 type r. this website says its a direct drop in, is this true http://www.jspecautosports.com/page.aspx?page_id=17#3 ( its near the bottom). Also i wanted to convert it to manual, if i buy the motor with manual tran and ecu what else do i need to install the motor and get the trans working. also do i need to get the motor with the axles or a/c and power steering pump or can i use my original ones? also will it pass inspection in NJ? Thanks

:no:
B series automatic trannies fit in a civic just fine
people convert to manuals because automatics suck balls

you need to switch out the entire pedal assembly
you will need to run all of the fluid lines
you will need a shift linkage and shifter
you will need the whole center interior piece where the shifter goes
thats what i can think of off the top of my head... im sure theres other stuff... there might be an article in the refrence section

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
if its an auto, its not a direct drop in.

axles, b series mounts (99-00 civic si) would probably be mandatory.

Yeah I believe Auto B-series trans are too big to fit in civics so you'd have to convert it to manual to do the swap

do you even know what you are talking about?

Quoted post[/post]]
:no:
B series automatic trannies fit in a civic just fine
people convert to manuals because automatics suck balls

you need to switch out the entire pedal assembly
you will need to run all of the fluid lines
you will need a shift linkage and shifter
you will need the whole center interior piece where the shifter goes
thats what i can think of off the top of my head... im sure theres other stuff... there might be an article in the refrence section

moreoever, just find a totalled 96-00 civic w/manual trans (dx, ex, hx, lx whatever) and get everything you need, everything... hard lines, master cylinder, pedal assy., center console w/boot...

Quoted post[/post]]
thanks, you guys are the best

we try, we try.

Do you know of any sites or articles that list everything i need to convert auto to manual and also tells me how to do it? or is it just the list u gave me? Thanks

I found a website that shows whats needed for a b series swap, that website i put up at the top isn't 100 correct. http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/6gtech/index.html Tell me if this site is correct?

well... E_sol pretty much marked the jist out.

but here you go.

-manual pedals
-shift linkages
-shift lever
-shift boot
-shift knob
-clutch master cylinder
-clutch hard lines from MC to trans
-flywheel w/bolts (as the flex plate bolts are different, get em from honda) - oe or aftermarket
-hydro clutch kit - oe or aftermarket
-possibly hydro manual mount for passenger side (they may be the same between auto and manual 96+ civics, im not sure)

when you go to do the swap, you will for sure lose cruise and back up lights. you can however rewire them to work, im not sure how.

also, it may be mandatory to shim the mount on the passenger side as the holes may not line up. i suggest getting a rolling totalled chassis and swap everything the manual car over. this way, no shims no shit. so, if you go that route you will have more downtime, but everything will be OEM lookin and look stock.

if you were just doing the at - mt on a stock civic, you would need the ECU as well, but since you doing a swap and the at - mt then you dont. well, you do but you need it for the enigne you putting in.

hope this helps. i did the at - mt on my integra, it was fairly simple had some help from ef9civicgen4 but that was long ago. my car has a cable trans and a shimmed passenger mount, somehow i shimmed it perfectly and the front mount lined up perfect. i wont go into to much detail for the simple reason, its not needed. my car is cable your's will be hydro.

where are you located?

Im in new jersey near bridgewater. how hard is the swap, i haven't done anything this extreme before. Only simple things like changing the brakes, installing new header, catback exhaust and cold intake. O ya i also opened a entire door once to replace the window motor, but all that was easy. Im a quick learner. I heard converting it to manual is harder than then swaping the engine? is this true, also how hard is wiring the new motor and tranny, would u reconmend me going to a shop to do this? Thanks a ton

Quoted post[/post]]
Im in new jersey near bridgewater. how hard is the swap, i haven't done anything this extreme before. Only simple things like changing the brakes, installing new header, catback exhaust and cold intake. O ya i also opened a entire door once to replace the window motor, but all that was easy. Im a quick learner. I heard converting it to manual is harder than then swaping the engine? is this true, also how hard is wiring the new motor and tranny, would u reconmend me going to a shop to do this? Thanks a ton

to me it wasnt hard. people make it out to be all hard and shit.

My buddy just convereted his 96 ex to manny too.. fuckin cake walk if you have all the hardware such as lines and master cylinder. took him less than a day to do it. fuck a/c, only adds weight for only being hot a few months out of the year. power steering, you can either use your pump or the itr and you might have to get a fabricated motor mount... might

Back