d16y8 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Focuzed

I am swapping in a d16y8 engine in my 90 si. I'm told everything will bolt right in and i can use my stock d series tranny with this engine only thing is is that this engine is a vtech engine. I was told i will need a vtech solenoid and a vtech ecu. what else will I need to have for it to run right?? What about the fact that the 90 si is obd-0 and this new engine is obd-1??

First of all vtec not vtech, second of all the d16y8 is obd2. Your tranny will bolt up no problem. You can either stick with your stock ecu and run a vtec controler or convert to obd1 and use a p28 ecu. The engin might already have the vtec silinoid, it's located on the head just under the valve cover on the distributor side in the back. Best of luck with your swap.

Again it is spelled vtec, there is no h at the end. If the engin you have is obd1 then it has to be the d16z6 not the d16y8. Both are sohc vtec. Just bolt the motor straight into place and wire up vtec. If the motor is missing any sensors or the vtec silenoid replace them. Changing the usualy things when doing a swap such as water pump and timing belt are always a good idea. If you don't know how to wire up vtec search the net, there are many sites that will tell you how to do it. Again you will need something such as an ecu that already has vtec in it preferably a p28 from a 92-95 civic ex or si, or run your stock ecu and get an apexi vafc to engage vtec and adjust your fuel maps.

Back