D16Y8 Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

supundilusha

Hellow everyone,

First of all I must tell you all that I am new this forum and to vehicles specially Honda. I just bought an EG81992 model which was modified. Following are the details I managed to find so far;
  • Head block - D15B3
  • Head - D16y8 (P2J-4)
  • ECU - P2A-901
previous owner was saying that this vehicle has fuel efficiency up to 10L/km in city limit with A/C. However, its working only 5L/km. idle RM is around 1800.

Recently I managed to find a guy who is specilized in honda vehicles and he closed a sensor (i guess) inside the throtle body with a piece of paper, and now the RPM is around 800 initially and once the engine worms up it raises to 1500. Now fuel efficiency is aound 7.

He said that I have to install an ECu which comes with the 'EK3 vi' with wiring harness, and if so I can have a fuel milage of 14-17 outside city limits (10L/km inside city traffic).

Please help me with some advise on this issue. Plezzzzzz.....

Your speaking greek to most of us. Assumably your overseas. I envy that as I am an RHD guru.

EK3 vi, to us is unheard of for the most part, let alone kilometers.

From the sounds of it, you have a mis- match of components.
Assumably the previous owner installed a vtec head on a d15 block.

Maybe post some photos so we can get an idea of what your concern is. ;)

@RHDism
im new to the forum. i just bout a 93 eg coupe a few months ago with a d16z6 head. im planing on doing the y8 conversion head on it. i know i know smaller chamber z6 has hemispherical CC better flow. idc i want higher compression so i can boost low so i dont have to re change the internals i already put in it. eagle rods oem rings and pistons from advanced auto.plus the motor im getting has a rebuilt head with an after market cam. what are my exact procedures i should take?????? pllllzzzzzz and thank you for your feed back on this

ohh and my main concern is the timming????
wiring and bolting up is simple from what ive read. this is my first post on any forum instead of just reading and i want someones point of view

I would suggest keeping the z6 as it is, if its a good runner. The z6 is a better motor overall. The bottom end of a z6 uses more oil gallies and oil feed on the crank journals. Maybe keep the y8 head as a spare if you throw a valve.

There should be no real issue with timing aside from the fact that the y8 is an obd2 motor and you will have to clearance the obd1 distributor to mount on the y8 head or make/buy a jumper harness. There are several ways to make it all work, and lots of good write ups out there.

good luck ;)

@RHDism,

Yes, the previous owner installed a vtec head on a d15 block with having P2A ECU and he was using it very fine. I'll upload some of the photos of it ASAP. Thanks.

@RHDism,

Sorry I was away from my vehicle for a long time. See the attached images of my vehicle. Hope you all can help me out with this

37820p2a902.jpg

hondaecu37820p2a902.jpg

photo0525u.jpg

photo0526f.jpg

photo0527h.jpg

photo0528v.jpg

photo0529ks.jpg

photo0530m.jpg

photo0532c.jpg

photo0535.jpg

photo0536o.jpg

As you can see green connector is not plugged to the ECU. Will it be able to connect to P28 ECU?
Other thing is , radiator fan is on when I turn the key to on position. As you can see in the images, fan connector to the sensor in the engine is pulled off and connected by a copper string.

Awaiting your comments
Thanks in advance

Also my Fuel pump under the fuel tank (outside) is making a noise. Is it normal ? does it affect to the fuel consumption and idle controlling?

The green plug your holding is not intended for the ecu. It may be a test plug/port for something else. The ecu you have pictured is much different than that most of us here have seen, along with other components on that motor.

The intake manifold appears to be a y8, with a strange fuel pressure regulator.
That distributor is from another planet. :ph34r: It appears to not even mount correctly to the cylinder head. I personally have never seen one like that, especially with that type of plug. There may be some other members more familiar with it.

B16racer is a bad as$. I will see if I can get him in on this. :D

Post more photos of the car, inside and out. Curious what the rest of the car looks like.

Attached is a photo of a d16z6 I recently put together.

Attachments

• 2011-04-20 16.23.14.jpg
    2011-04-20 16.23.14.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 19,857
Also my Fuel pump under the fuel tank (outside) is making a noise. Is it normal ? does it affect to the fuel consumption and idle controlling?

You should not hear any noise (just a slight hum) from the fuel pump unless it is a performance pump.
Walbro or similar tend to be a little noisier at times, but nothing obnoxious.

If your stock pump is making noise then it most likely needs replacing. Yes it could affect idle but not so much fuel consumption unless there is a leak some where.

Also, your radiator fan sounds to be wired to accessory. Common when the fan switch is bypassed or not functionable.

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures, hope you can help me out. Recently the rediator fan want working and heat was up to max. So I stopped the car and fixed it. but then radiator was leaking. then fixed it also. Now there is water coming out of the exhaust. water is coming out before the beat barrel (silencer). seems like exhaust pipe has a leak before the silencer. What is that all about??

ImageShack Album - 10 images (link to images)
photo0542h.jpg

photo0541l.jpg

photo0540v.jpg

photo0539x.jpg

photo0538.jpg

photo0547y.jpg

photo0546.jpg

photo0545.jpg

photo0544l.jpg

photo0543.jpg

Hi again,
Now there are leaks from two positions in the exhaust pipe before the beat silencer. I am worried about this. Is it because of the head gasket, which caused from the over heating which I mentioned earlier. Engine is running normally. I didint run the vehicle, just start and pushed the accelerator for high rpm (2k-4k) and I saw this leakage. Engine oil is normal, water level in the radiator is normal as well. Engine heat meter also normal. Check light is not connected to ECU I guess, because of the different ECU. I should mentioned that I did some searching on the internet. this ECU is used in Germany and its for a non-Vtec engine. So I suppose only thing is that VTec should not functioning, but others should be working as normal.

Some interesting pix. Where are you located?
From what I can see, some inexperienced hands(poor craftsmanship) have been on that motor, which explains why your running into one problem after another.

As far as the overheating scenario you explained, those are not entirely symptoms of a faulty head gasket but a possibility. Do you see white smoke from the exhaust? Check the underside of your radiator cap for a grey sludge, and check your plugs to see if they are wet/damp. The leaks you are seeing from the flanges along your exhaust is most likely due to poor welds or faulty gaskets. (again, poor craftsmanship) Overheating can be caused from several faulty components.

You will almost always see condensation when starting a cold engine. Dependant on ambient air and humidity level as well. How long from the time you start the engine until the car begins to overheat? While the engine is running feel both lower and upper radiator hoses, they should be of equal temperature after about 10 minutes of running the engine. If the engine seems to have a misfire, that can be another clue to a faulty head gasket along with other things of course.

Good luck yet again..Looks like a decent EG sedan especially since its bustin the RHDism. :D

You should consider replacing the enitre drive train from a reputable company such as www.Hmotorsonline.com or equivelant.

@RHDism,

I am located at Colombo, Sri Lanka. parts for honda are bit expensive around here. So as per your experience, what should I do to get this motor up and running normally. Without replasing the whole thing?
Its not always overheating. Once it happened due to the fan faliure I mentioned earlier. I'll check the symptoms you mentiond with regard to the head gasket. Seems like its not due to the gasket,but probably bad welding. By the way did you manged to talk to b16racer about this matter.
Thanks
Dilusha

Supun...whasup man..:D
Ive heard of colombo..but sri lanka..:mellow:

No, b16racer only popps in every now and then.
He must be racing or tuning, you know bkoz he is a racern2ner. although his sig says hes working hard, so I dont know.

Anyway..:rimshot:

Its a tough call with your motor ...
If it were me, I would save my pennies or whatever they are called in sri lanka and replace that badboy. It is most likely a high mileage motor that someone pieced together by the looks of it.
The body and interior is in good shape, so its worth to buy a complete swap.
Shipping/pricing may be a bit less, if you are closer to tokyo and what not, you can do away with the middle man.

Thanks mate!

First I will look replacing the throttle body or the IAC valve. looks to me this ECU (P2A-901) is used at somewhere around germany, ukrane! And it was used for PGFI with D15b engine. Also the fuel pump should be replaced it seems. First Im gonna do these and see whether it will sort out my problems ( of course VTEC will not be functioning)

Thanks again for you time and concern,
Cheers ! ;)
Supun Dilusha

Yeah I was out of town training for the new M276 and M278 Mercedes-Benz engines. The new/redesigned SLK is going to be the first of the USDM vehicles to have the M276 and the new CLS is going to be the first USDM vehicle with the M278. Very nice engines...

Anyway...

I am not familiar with EK3 vi... Do you know if there any USDM or JDM equivalent part number to that?

That "sensor" he covered inside the throttle body is for the Fast Idle Throttle Valve. It's just a bypass for cold starts. It starts to close as coolant temp rises. It's probably just clogged or just took a shit. Hondas are notorious for that and the IAC Valve to go bad.

All your stuff seems so mixed and matched that I don't even know where to start unless I had it right in front of me lol.

Back