d16y8 to b16a swap - which tranny????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pimpinex

I am currently looking to upgrade to a b16a motor, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can use the tranny out of my current vehicle on the new motor. I have a 96 civic ex with a d16y8 and a hydraulic 5 speed. I was hoping to use this tranny since I just rebuilt much of it and it would save me some money. I have an engine lined up, but I'm having trouble finding a hydaulic tranny for a decent price. Any suggestions? Will mine work?

i have a 94 integra LS tranny tranny, its hydraulic ill sell it to you for 400 plus shipping.. no grinds whatsoever

Definately will not fit. Also, when you are gettin a new tranny for your B16, dont skimp out and get a LS tranny. Your gearing will be wayyyy off, and when your in fifth gear on the highway going like 60mph or more, you'll look at your tach and wonder why the rpm's are at like 6500 and you dont have much throttle left. Also not to mention you'll chew through an LS clutch if you dont upgrade it....... a B16 makes much more power than an LS. But you can call me captian obvious on that one ;)

Get a B16 Tranny or better.

Originally posted by turboB20hatch@May 4 2004, 01:27 PM
i have a 94 integra LS tranny tranny, its hydraulic ill sell it to you for 400 plus shipping.. no grinds whatsoever

sorry to ruin your pitch there dude, you totally replied while I was writing my reply! :lol:

Adnoh what a way to kill his potential sale. I busted up laughing on that one. :lol:

Originally posted by adnoh@May 4 2004, 01:34 PM
dont skimp out and get a LS tranny. Your gearing will be wayyyy off, and when your in fifth gear on the highway going like 60mph or more, you'll look at your tach and wonder why the rpm's are at like 6500 and you dont have much throttle left.

the LS trannys have longer gearing resulting in a higher top speed.
and 5th gear and 6500 going 60 doesnt happen with any honda motor/tranny combination..

ya, ls tranny + b16 would not be fun...

a b18b makes 140 hp and a b16 makes 150-160 so it dosent make way more power. the ls trans is a bad idea for lots of reasons you will fall out of vtec when you shift and your powerband is not even close to your gearing. and as for the clutch correct me if im wrong but they are the same part number.

Thanks for the info, but I just found a b18c type r with lsd tranny and everything for a sweet price, so I'm really upgrading now.

there you go, you will be more than happy with that setup :)

Back