D16Y8 to higher power, but easy swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joebeajetski

Hi all,

I'm looking to swap out my stock D16Y8 engine for something that will be an easy fit with little modifications on the current setup under the hood. The car its going in is a 99 civic ex 5spd. Cost for me, like most, is a concern so I need to stay relatively inexpensive as in $1000 or less. I wanted to get around 170+hp with an all motor setup. Can anyone give any thoughts on what engines would be a good fit for me? This is my first swap so any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

On less than a $1000 your only options
do boltons/headwork on the D16Y8 .. but only expect about 150 hp.
NOS alone could get you to 170+hp .. with a greater potential for internal failure.

The cheapest swap will easily run twice that, IMO.. US B18B1 or high mileage Japanese motor? It involves changing transmission & compatable chassis/driveline parts.

After doing a little reading I realized that thought on the 1000 dollar mark. I've decided to go with a B16A2 since it should be the easiest fit.

The problem with tuning the current engine is that it's blown so I need a rebuild as far as I know anyway. Should I consider just getting it rebuilt and have the rebuilder try to add some power while in the process.

Any thoughts on that?

yea do b16 great way to up grade plus you can do tons of things to a b16 then the engine you have in your car im working on my swap as well. with the b16 swap your looking at 3 grand a engine and trans 2 k new clutch 300 bucks axels 300 bucks shift linkage like 50 bucks used and many other little things like obd 2 to obd1 converter another 100 bucks so yea be perpared to dish out some cash

You could drop in another D16Y8 for now to keep things inexpensive- maybe put forged pistons and rods in it- then prepare for boost later when you have more money. You could also build an all motor D16Y8 for pretty cheap. PM7 pistons and a Crower stage 3 cam will cost you about $500, then engine assembly and tuning would put you a bit over the $1000 mark, but not by much. You can make close to 170whp all motor with that kind of setup if your tuner knows what they're doing.

I'd still go with the b ... it's tough to argue the reliability of a stock motor in comparasion to aftermarket mods. Forge internals would be more reliable ... there's no guarantee compression & cam alone makes all that much more power. Cams mostly just change where horsepower peaks. This combo plus cylinder head work might get there. A reliable NOS system on the stock motor could, too; Though it's not all motor, the price fits. The manufacturer made the bore of the d small & intended economy.
The stock torque alone of the b beats most d motors. Yea, you'd likely shell 2 to 4 thousand$, depending on the person doing the work... It's always a matter of preference with these kinda decisions.

Keep the D16Y8 block, swap in a port-matched Z6 head(or port out the stock one), crower stg 2 camshaft, boltons, socketed P28 ecu, skunk2 intake manifold, PM7/P29 pistons, and the rest of the money on tune. there are some guys on d-series.org running 13s in EKs with the Y8.

divisii said:
I'd still go with the b ... it's tough to argue the reliability of a stock motor in comparasion to aftermarket mods. Forge internals would be more reliable ... there's no guarantee compression & cam alone makes all that much more power. Cams mostly just change where horsepower peaks. This combo plus cylinder head work might get there. A reliable NOS system on the stock motor could, too; Though it's not all motor, the price fits. The manufacturer made the bore of the d small & intended economy.
The stock torque alone of the b beats most d motors. Yea, you'd likely shell 2 to 4 thousand$, depending on the person doing the work... It's always a matter of preference with these kinda decisions.

The D16 actually puts down pretty much the same amount of torque as a B16. It has a longer stroke.

Yes, compression and a good cam does make that kind of power with good tuning. It's been done many times before. Go look at some dyno charts on D-series.org.

Cams DO increase power and not change where the power peaks. The cams control how much air get in and out of the engine, so of course a different set of cams will completely change the height of the power curve, not just shift the peak.

I'm not saying this cant be done on the d .. I totally agree that cam does provide some better breathing. Flow might still be limited by the head. It's all in the right combo of parts whether it's internals or boltons.
I went with the fact this is about maximizing cost. The b16 has better rod/stroke geometry .. much more torque could be traded for a b18, b17, or custom crank.

Back