D16Y8 Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eml1618

To make a long story short: B16A2 got jacked :bash: and in order to have something to drive I have to put my D16Y8 back in. I'm looking at a gsr swap but find myself wondering why not just turbo the d16...what would be the best way to start for a mild (6-8 psi, eventually more) setup. Or should i just go with a gsr...Thanks guys...

i'd go with the GSR without thinking twice about it. but, the turbo D might be faster, and cheaper.

its all about getting a good starting point....

Thanks guys, i think i'm going to build up my D16 for a turbo. I love all motor DOHC but i'm still in college and hp/$ i think would be best for the boosted d16. BTW sick ass car pissedoffsol...can't wait to see it finished...

I'm turboing my Y8. Many people don't realize the potential of the D16. Hell, the Y8 is one of the strongest honda motors out there, and I've seen people safely push between 10-13 PSI with only fuel upgrades.

I'm building a boosted D16Z6..... I don't see the reason in going B or H when I've seen boosted D's putting out 300 to the wheels and doing consistant 11.70's in 5th gen hatches...... I'm fully building my block and head, building a custom turbo kit, and having Humble Performance in Tulsa, Ok Dyno tune it.....

I just got a really good deal on an apexi kit for my d16, all in all expect to pay 1500 for an average d16 used kit. Maybe a little more or a little less, just look around. I am gonna run about 8 psi, and run the hack with my safc, if that bastard I bought it from will ever send me the damn thing.

The only thing i don't really know about is the electronics/managment...I was thinking Hondata s200 with the boost option...would that cover me or would i need supplemental managment?

hondata s200 is the ideal fuel management setup. You could safely run 10-12 psi (on an average turbo) with no internal upgrades if you had hondata. Just make sure you have a place/money to get it tuned properly.

Hondata is way to much $$ for this guy here, I went with the dsm injectors and the safc hack. Drop by Turbo D16 they have all the answers you could ever want. Great place. Thats just my two cents. Also drop by Honda Tech, the home of the hack. Read up on that there.

Hondata isn't too much if that's the "right way" to do it...when it comes to this stuff i'm not a cheap bastard but if there i do try and conserve where possible...i looked and it was like 495 for the base s200 w/boost...or am i just retarted? I'd rather drop a couple hundred more to do it right...

"Fast and cheap won't be reliable.
Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
...fast and reliable won't be cheap."

complements of: JDMcivic.com

it will hold... for a while at least... but d-series tranny's suck. just na, and pretty much stock, i went through 2 and would be on my 3rd if i was still d-powered, or driving....

If I have a car with 154,688 miles on it and 50,000 miles on the tranny would it be good to turbo my D series motor? Also how long will the tranny hold up and what clutch would last in a booasted D series motor and tranny?

Back