d16y8 won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nplsdvr

My water pump went bad so I swapped it out - water pump, timing belt, tensioner. Putting it all back together and it won't start: the starter is obviously turning, but no other noise from the motor. Crank and cam are turning.

I've triple checked the timing: single tick on crank pulley is lined up with timing cover marks and cam pulley says "up" in the up position* with left and right lines horizontal.

I've triple checked the spark plug wire order, it's fine.

While installing the new water pump, I snapped a bolt - so I had to take off a lot of stuff to raise the engine to drill out the bolt: i.e. removed alternator, disconnected a/c compressor, disconnected p/s pump, removed front motor mounts, pulled axles from transmission.

Do I need the alternator and axles installed just to check if the engine fires?

How do I check for spark by myself? I know the "ground the spark plug" method, but my arms aren't long enough to hold the spark plug and turn the key! :p

How do I check for fuel delivery by myself?

Thanks for your input.

Nic in B'ham

* Or is that supposed to be "dn" in the down position? Just kidding!!

Last edited:
dont need the axles, the alternator is highly advised.

as for fuel and spark.......get a friend man, thats really all i can think.

I would check for the spark with a freind or weight them down with a 2x4.... also if there is no spark i would suspect a Dizzy which btw die all the damm time :p

Thanks for the replies/suggestions.

My wife got home late and we checked for spark - all 4 are good. Gonna check for fuel and compression later today.

I've got the Haynes, and will follow the instructions for compression test unless someone knows a quicker/shortcut method...?

What does timing off by 180 degrees look like?

I've got the plug wires in order, the dizzy rotor is at #1 position, the camshaft pulley is "up", and the crank shaft pulley has the tick mark lined up with the arrow on the block. I can turn the harmonic balancer by hand and all stays aligned - I don't think it's timing.

Thanks!

Nic in B'ham

When u 1st turn the key to the ON postion u should hear a motor churing noice, like electric under ya back seat. That be the pump priming ect ect... If that happens then awesome, fuel is going up threw ya filter, then I would check the fuel injectors, but I suspect ya Fuel pump is not priming

I did a compression test, numbers were very low: 90, 85, 110, 90. At least there is compression.

What I'm thinking: I drained the oil during this whole process and what little was left in there settled. I'm hoping the pistons and cylinders are just without oil. I'll give them a small squirt and recheck compression tomorrow.

Still haven't had any luck hearing the fuel pump. As soon as I turn the key, the dash starts "bing"-ing and it's hard to hear anything but that.

I got spark, I got minimal compression. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic in B'ham

It Started!!

Well, it finally started - honestly I think the only thing it needed was drying off. We have had a lot of rain and humidity these last 2 weeks. In the morning, condensation would be all over the engine, dizzy, radiator, etc. Yesterday things actually dried off, my wife got it started while I was at work.

So, now...the idle is up to about 2000rpms - could it be because I haven't hooked up anything else to it? I have not reinstalled the a/c belt, alternator, power steering, etc. Will that bring the idle back down once that extra effort is taken up by those components?

Thanks,

Nic in B'ham

It technicaly will. You will need to losen the 3 bolts holding your Dizzy or get a timing light. More inlikly your Dizzy is out of tune with the motor, simple fix really, just losen them while the car is running and rotate it forward or backward with someone watching your RPMS till you get the desierd postion at which point tighten them again.... Tho i do recomend getting a timeing light works alot better and pin points a problem quick

Back