D16y8 Zc? Pistons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hagybaby

Hey, I'm new here.

I have a d16y7 which i will soon be replaced with a d16y8.

I heard adding "ZC" pistons will give me a nice boost in HP. What is hell is ZC and how much HP is "nice?"

And while you nice people are at it, where canI get ZC pistons and how much should I expect to spend? One more thing...when I add these pistons (if I do) do I have to get any work done to the block????

Thanks, I am an idiot. :blink:

The ZC is the engine on the JDM version of the CRX which also came in the Integra 88-89 I'm not sure if it came on any other car :huh: . But I can tell you this my brother has a D16 engine, I bought a ZC engine for my 90 honda civic and the guy who I bought it from was nice enough to give me four other pistons so I gave them tomy brother. Before the ZC pistons (16.1s) on the track, after ZC pistons (15.4) I honestly think it's not bad I would'nt know how much HP it gave him but that my friend is very good difference :blink: :blink: . As for myself I still have not completed the engine swap I'll let you know how good the entire engine is. :D

you should be able to get those pistons from $125 to about $200 there on that price range thanks

ok, buddy

so you are saying the zc pistons are found easily? from a 88-91 Integra. What type of engine? I need to know where to start looking, would help if I knew where they are from!!!

and if it took a full second off, thats a noticable difference in daily driving right?

Remember, these are going in a lightly modded '98 d16y8. DO I need to do anything to the y8's block to accept these pistons and which rods should I use? Stock d16y8 or the zc ones?

thanks thanks thanks!!! :worthy:

P29? What do you mean basically the same? Whats the difference? And PLEASE dont tell me I have to worry about them hitting the valves right? I mean they still fit like the stock ones right??????

Thanks on answering my 1000 question but I got 1 that nobody has answered....my d16y8 has 40k, will I have to do anything to the block when puttingin new pistons? Like any machine work?? Of course I'll get new rings w/new pistons.

thanks

:spin:

nah, just have to worry about seating the piston rings which comes from your break in procedure. And I believe they have the same stroke, so you should be alright with valve clearance. Basically your just increasing the compression. I'm not sure about dropping a full second from your 1/4, but hey, I've never done the swap

Basically the same means ZC is japanese and P29 is US. They work fine and are available at an Acura dealer. They actually make .5 over pistons and rings. Add a few cc's while you are at it. There are no problems using the P29 pistons. Check out www.dseries.org do a couple searches you will find some good info.

As for what to do to the block, call your local Honda Dealer and ask what machine shop they use. Then call the shop and ask for a quote to get the engine acid washed and honed ($75 or so here), if going with .5 over pistons you will need it bored too, this will cost more and they will want the pistons you are using when they do it. If you haven't messed with internals you may just wnat them to swap the pistons for you.

Back