D16Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeymike

Hey guys i'm new to all this stuff, so have some patients with me, i have been driving hondas all my life, and now would like to get into whole thrill of doing some performance to engines, my question is what can be done to a d16y8 engine to improve the horse power, without spending to much money, i know it would be easy to just swap the engine out of my civic, but for now just looking to start with this engine. Thanks for your help

AEM Intake, Stainless Steel header, full exhaust.

Intake is about 150, header 200-500 depending on what kind you get, exhaust is usually around 500-600.

You can easily make your Y8 more potent than a B16... and you'll be lighter too, so you'll be faster and handle better.

:)

Drop in the standard I/H/E, then later swap out the pistons for slugs from a Civic GX for 12.5:1 compression, slap in a good aftermarket cam like the Crower stage 3, then tune tune tune.

I have no clue on how much you want to spend but you could go the route of forced induction. Just make sure you pick up a Greddy or Apexi kit for quicker spool up then a T3/T4 kit. Also some 440 RC injectors, a FMIC, Boost controller, BOV and a AFC Hack or Hondata is always good then take that boost to 8 or 10 (whaterver you want) get it turned and have some fun.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Jul 17 2003, 12:45 PM
AEM Intake, Stainless Steel header, full exhaust.

Intake is about 150, header 200-500 depending on what kind you get, exhaust is usually around 500-600.

you DO realize that the 150 for intake, 300 for headers, 600 for exhaust adds up to a grand total of

1050 dollars.

for 400 more dollars you can buy a bolt on greddy turbocharger....

and smoke every other civic out there with h/i/e....

go HERE for more information. the guys are extremely helpfull and you can do the installation yourself.

Originally posted by karnash@Jul 20 2003, 12:49 PM
you DO realize that the 150 for intake, 300 for headers, 600 for exhaust adds up to a grand total of 1050 dollars.

You can do it for a LOT cheaper than that.

weren't people saying that you can put zc pistons in for higher cr?

Civic GX is the natural gas version of the 6G Civic. It's also available in the 7G. You never hear about them because they're not available to the public. They're fleet sales only cars.

The GX has a 12.5:1 compression ratio, and the head/block structure is basically the same as a D16Y8. Drop GX pistons in, and you'll have a nice and high, but still streetable (given good tuning) compression ratio.

The DOHC ZC pistons are what people typically use to raise compression in a D block, but the Y8 head with the ZC pistons on a D16 block will produce compression ratios higher than 13.0:1. You probably don't want to run that on the street, although some pretty trick tuning can make it work.

I wouldn't run DOHC ZC pistons in a Y8 head without a super thick head gasket. They're more suited to Z6 heads.

You can do that too, and it IS the best value power adder... but it's not on all the time. You can only use it when the system is armed, and you have to refill the bottle. I prefer to have my power available to me any time I want it. Nitrous is nice, and I will use it, but not as a basic power upgrade.

Also, nitrous for drag is nice but for autoX or road racing? Your doing a million things at once, it would be impossible to use that (also probally against the rules)

You don't push a button like 2queer2dickless... you arm and it auto sprays at full throttle for most applications. You can put together a nice progressive delivery kit that eases you into the nitrous also- that would be better suited to autocross and road course racing. Those systems aren't typical though, and you'll really be filling up the bottle all the time.

Back