d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

'im gettin that fo sho!'
anyone know where to find things like colored plug wires and possibly some radiator hoses and things like that? i cant find anything about them except some plug wires on ebay

Uh...if you're just looking for colorful shit to put under your hood then E-Bay is going to be your best friend, either that, or Auto-Zone...

lol guess thatll have to do but on a almost completely different subject but still concerning the d16y8, is it possible for someone to have taken the head off and the vtec and just have the y8 block with no vtec? i was told that all sohc vtecs were stamped with vtec right on the valve cover, but i dont know where to look for the vtec solenoid or how to identify anything(ive been looking on the net all morining and im not sure of anything ive just seen.. i even came accross a man.. and a whale... an actual whale.. and am still unsure of how that came up in my search) oh and while im at it, the y8 doesnt redline at around 7500 does it?

no, the d series vtec motors come both ways some say vtec some dont. the rev limit on the y8 is 7200

Which direction does your throttle body face?

If it's up, you have a d16y7.

If to the right, you either have a swap, or a d16y8.

And no, the Y8 VC doesn't have VTEC on it.

here the green thing is the pressure switch going to the solenoid

Attachments

• 1449841139_l.jpg
    1449841139_l.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 19,274
ok yea its there, but its black, but i think thats, correct me if im wrong, because its obd2

This is what the VTEC solenoid looks like.

Attachments

• OPSnVTECsol.jpg
    OPSnVTECsol.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 8,186
does anyone have VTEC schematics?. Also, on a d16y8 can I use the p28 and get a jumper harness then wire VTEC?. I have a d16a6 bottom end.

I asked if I could use a p28 on a D16Y8 head, I have a d16y8 head.
Converting your car over to OBDII which the Y8 is is too hard. If you could rig up a Z6 dizzy on the Y8 head that could work after converting it to OBD1. The Z6 dizzy doesn't line up with the Y8 head. The P28 world run the Y8 head with a Z6 dizzy.

Man I remember when I was a noob and everyone was telling me to search, now I know what it feels like.:mellow:

Hey man, I appreciate your understanding, being a noob sucks:p. What your saying is that I can use my p28 (obd1) ecu and get a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness will work with a d16z6 dizzy? (with modification). What head gasket should I use??. Y8 Headgasket and t.belt?. Thanks a tonne for the help, man.

Hey man, I appreciate your understanding, being a noob sucks:p. What your saying is that I can use my p28 (obd1) ecu and get a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness will work with a d16z6 dizzy? (with modification). What head gasket should I use??. Y8 Headgasket and t.belt?. Thanks a tonne for the help, man.
Is your car DPFI or MPFI?

Yes the P28 will work with the conversion harness and the Z6 dizzy but modify to fit on the Y8 head. The Y8 headgasket I think is a bit thinner than the Z6 gasket, not positive though. Both the Z6 and Y8 gaskets work fine. And the timing belts are the same number of teeth the only difference is the location of the keyway on the camshaft, nothing to worry about.

Back