D16z2 Engine - Would Like To Make It Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

coupe216

Moderators - If this is in the wrong section, please move and accept my apologies.

To The nagging question !!

I live in the United Kingdom and am currently running a Rover 216 Coupe (http://www.cambs-performance.co.uk follow the 'Project Cars' link), Powered by a Non-VTEC D16Z2 Engine. I have been reading around on the net about VTEC conversions and so on. The problem is I have not got a clue where to start. So basically I am asking for some serious help here.

Main Questions As Follows:

A - Firstly is it possible to convert my engine to VTEC (If Not Please ignore the rest of the questions and go grab a coffee).

B - What year & model of Honda would I need to get the head and so on from.

C - What other parts would I need to get - RPM switch and so on.

D - Would my existing Inlet & Outlet manifolds fit on the VTEC Head.

E - Should I go for SOHC or DOHC - bareing in mind that my engine is currently SOHC !!!

F - I have been offered a SOHC VTEC Head for about £140.00 complete (Not too sure about price in $'s)

G - How much do you want just for reading this post -------- :blink: :slap:

Thanks for taking the time to read this post of many questions, as I have stated in other post's, I AM a noob so need some help to get going....

Regards

Chris

A. i dont know much about D series engines, because ive always ran Bseries in my cars. but i think you can run vtec on your block. just change the head and internals on your block. i could be wrong.

B. maybe u could run a head from 92 95 civic vtec. usually found on ex i believe.

C. not sure because not too familair w/ what your car has in it and what it might need. you can probably just get a monster tach and bolt it on the side of you cluster or dash. as for other stuff not sure.

D. not sure on intake manifold.

E. if your wanting to run vtec. keep in mind that if you run soch vtec, the vtec only is activated on the intake valves, not the exhaust. so you wouldnt get as much broad power as dohc vtec. sohc vtec was meant to be economic. depending on how much you want to spend or have to spend, run a dohc vtec. is more powerful. dont see much or any sohc vtec all motor w/ 200whp. probably 150whp give or take a few.

F. thats a pretty good deal. i think. not sure what sohc vtec heads run for actually

G. not sure what you mean

Thanks Guys.

Those links are great, gonna go take a read now.....See if I can get this sorted. I am on my hols next week so this conversion will have to wait ... :( until I get back. This is now my mission in life - To get my car VTEC Stylee.

Thanks again Guys......though if anyone else can add anything, that would be appreciated loads.
Civics & VTEC are not too well know in the UK, at least not by anyone I have managed to find so you guys are my only hope.

Regards

Chris

You're welcome Chris. See if you can find out what the correlation between your D16Z2 block and our USDM block numbers are. Once you find that out, finding specific information on converting to VTEC shouldn't be that hard. I'm also curious to know exactly what your Z2 block is, since that was never offered in the States.

Hi There Mr Calesta,

So far the only difference I can find (Guess !!) is that the engine codes are different because of the DM that they are supplied to. Z2 - UK/EU & Z6 - US.

I will get the SOHC VTEC head from my local scappy. I am hoping that it will fit. I have been told that any D-Series head will fit on almost any D-Series Block - Well lets bloody hope so anyway.

Whilste on the the subject of the VTEC head, where is the VTEC Control solenoid situated. I had a quick look on the Civic that the heads coming off but could not see anything.....may be my eye's though - :blink:

Regards

Chris

EDIT I have just found out that the D16Z2 engine was fitted in the Honda Concerto 1990 to 1993, Spec. of the engine as follows:

d16.gif

Seems that the engine that is listed for my car is the D16A6, so god only knows why my engine is different. Anyways I hope the above info will help us determine if I can use the VTEC head from a D16A series Civic.

Just got this from http://www.rovertech.net : A Rover forum based here in the U.K.

Right a couple of points to clear up

1. Nearly all D16 heads are interchangeable - but the twin cam D16A8/9 will absolutely NOT fit the SOHC D16A6/7 block.

2. The coupe was fitted with the D16A6 engine until stocks ran low - this was then superceded buy excess stocks of the SOHC Concerto D16Z2 engine. The engine numbers on the Rovers/concertos only differ to help identify the engines. Because the mk2 CRX was around before the Mk2 200 it also has the D16A9 engine as do some equivalent year Civics.
It was only after the joint production started that different engine codes were used.

So SOHC = D16A6/7 and D16Z2
and DOHC = D16A8/9 and D16Z1 - also 99% identical to the JDM ZC engine that all the yanks talk about

Hope this clears a few things up  

Mark

Seems things are now beginning to make sence.

Looks like it is "All Go" for the VTEC conversion.

Just one last question.....Are the Inlet ports on the VTEC head the same size as the Non-VTEC head or should I get the Inlet/Injection manifold as well. If I need to get the Inj. manifold....is there any wiring that needs to be changed at all.

I Promise that this is the last question I will ask (At least at this point anyway.. :p )

Your thoughts please...

Regards

Chris

Question are good. Ask away, as long as they're not "how do i put this sticker on and does it give me 20hp if it's yellow" kind of questions.

I'm pretty sure that your stock intake manifold will bolt right up, assuming that it's the same as the D16A6 manifold. Quite a few people save cash on their SOHC VTEC conversions by using the old intake manifold. As long as it's already MPFI, it should work fine. The D16Y8 manifold is what most people like to use, since it flows the best out of all the 88-00 D series manifolds. You can find it from a 96-00 USDM EX Civic. I don't know how that matches up to your trim levels over there in the UK, but it was the top model Civic trim here that didn't have the B16 in it. I think that might be the VTi or something where you are, but I'm just guessing.

I think that you can still use all your original wiring with whatever intake manifold you choose, as long as you're using your original sensors. Again, I'm not 100% sure since I haven't done it yet, but that's what makes sense to me.

Hi There & Thanks Mr Calesta,

I think someone has just trown a spanner in the works. Turns out that the SOHC VTEC head I am getting is from a D15B so I am now guessing that this will not fit on my block. The Civic iit is coming from is a 1993 Civic VTi Ferio. On phoneing my local Honda dealer to order the Gaskets and so on I was told that this is an import.

So got knows what I can do now. Will this head still go on !!!

Regards

Chris

Chris, I'm not sure. The D15B you're talking about is most likely the 3 stage VTEC D15. It's somewhat unique for the D series, since it's the only one with more than two stages of VTEC. It may fit- but I'm not sure. If it does, you'll probably have to find the original ECU for that head, plus you probably won't be able to find many aftermarket parts for it either. You could try searching some junkyards for a "normal" SOHC VTEC head or have one shipped in from the States too. They're not that expensive- and there's actually several listed for sale in our Classifieds section.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 27 2003, 03:30 PM
Chris, I'm not sure. The D15B you're talking about is most likely the 3 stage VTEC D15. It's somewhat unique for the D series, since it's the only one with more than two stages of VTEC. It may fit- but I'm not sure. If it does, you'll probably have to find the original ECU for that head, plus you probably won't be able to find many aftermarket parts for it either. You could try searching some junkyards for a "normal" SOHC VTEC head or have one shipped in from the States too. They're not that expensive- and there's actually several listed for sale in our Classifieds section.

Hi Calesta,

Just found this about the 3-Stage VTEC:

"For the 1995 EK3 Civic, the evolution of the D15B culminated in the now famous 3-stage VTEC implementation, a merging of the earlier VTEC-E and power-VTEC variants. Thus we now finally get power and economy in one great engine; incredible as it seems, on the 3-stage VTEC D15B, Honda actually delivered the best of both worlds"

I was pleased to see the bit "For the 1995 EK3 Civic"....the Civic that I am getting the bits from is a 1993, so hopefully not the 3-Stage VTEC.
Though it would be nice to get this confirmed. to recap - the car I am getting the bits from is a 1993 Honda Civic VTI Ferio.
After talking to a chap on Rovertech.net, he says that I would need an ECU from a DOHC D16 which he could remap for me to allow for the extra Air/Fuel needed when VTEC Kicks in.

Just need to get all this info in one place, read it then act upon it. Hopefully before I go insane... :blink:

Oh well....Wheres that Google Search Button again !!!!!! :unsure: ;)

Thanks for your imput again Bud, Please keep it coming. I would like to do this conversion in the next week or so.

Regards

Chris

Ok Chris- that's good information. I think you guys across the big pond count your model years different than us wacky Americans (actually I'm sure you do), since the EK chassis didn't show up in the US until the 1996 model year.

Oh well.

The only D15 VTEC engine that was in the 5th generation Civics here in the States was the D15Z1. It's the 92hp 1.5L block with VTEC-E, which basically works like this:

off VTEC: only one intake valve opens, high lift (2nd valve opens just enough to prevent pooling of fuel behind valve)

on VTEC: both intake valves open, lift reduced slightly

Hopefully your 1993 D15B isn't the same as our D15Z1 (I doubt it), because the Z1 head was set up for fuel economy and not power. If the head is the same as the Z1, then I doubt you'll gain much power, if any at all. I'm guessing that it will be different though, since Honda would probably have stamped the block with "D15Z" instead of "D15B" if it was similar to our D15Z1 over here. You might want to check just to make sure.

Do you have the head already? If so, look for a "PR#" stamp or something on the head casting. If you find that PR# code, you can figure out exactly what the head is. For example... the 88-91 USDM Si engine (D16A6) is stamped "PM6", the JDM DOHC ZC is stamped "PM7", D16Z6 (92-95 SOHC VTEC) is "P28" etc...

Try to find that code- it will aid your information search quite a bit.

Thanks for that Bud,

I don't have the head yet, it is about 15 miles away but I can go take a look. where would this code most likely be...

Regards

Chris

No problem. ;)

Stamp location? You've got me stumped there... I'm really not sure where it is. You might want to look around on the head casting right around where the exhaust ports are. There are some identifying markings stamped there- but I'm not sure if the head code is in that same location or not. I'll have to go and look at my car...... but I don't want to go outside right now.

:p

I'll get back to you when I have a chance to look at it. One thing that might help though- there are a few circular markings with two numbers each inside separated by a straight line... the very left side circle contains the year that the head was manufactured. It's a little bit of useless trivia, but it can help you verify when the head was made.

Okay Bud,

I will go take a look anyway. I will make notes of any numbers that are on the head.

This should be fun..:)

Thanks again Mr Calesta.

Regards

Chris

Sure thing. I'll post up some pics of my head on my car later today.

not to jack this guy's thread....BUT

is it not advisable to boost a mini-me setup? i heard some negative comments from people

on this subject matter.

Originally posted by karnash@May 28 2003, 10:47 AM

is it not advisable to boost a mini-me setup? i heard some negative comments from people

on this subject matter.

Hi There Karnash,

Something I will be looking into once I have my setup running. The only problem is that this kind of thing is virtually unheard of here in the U.K.

Seems I will be the first to do this VTEC head conversion on a Rover 216 Coupe in the U.K. as well (That I know of). I only know of one other that has done a VTEC Engine swap and that was in a Rover 200 Coupe as well. He put a B16 DOHC VTEC in. Bloody fast and Sounds great as well.

Regards

Chris

Originally posted by karnash@May 28 2003, 10:47 AM

on this subject matter.

There's really not anything negative about this setup for boosting. Most people just complain about the compression ratio being a bit high, since dropping a Z6 head onto an A6 block brings compression up to about 10.0:1, and even higher with other comfigurations. That's part of the reason for the power gain when you add the VTEC head to the non-VTEC block. The VTEC heads generally have smaller combustion chambers than the non-VTEC heads, so the pistons in the non-VTEC blocks tend to have larger domes (or shallower dishes) on top. The stroke geometry is the same as the VTEC blocks of the same displacement, so you're not really changing anything there.

You get a better flowing head and more compression (but not too much more) when you convert your engine, so it's still boost worthy. You just need to be careful in your tuning.

Back