D16Z6 accelerates really slow until about 3500rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Filer0128

Heres the problem,

I just put a D16Z6 in my 92 hatch and it runs alot better than the old D15B8 that was in there aside from a few things.

First off it accelerates extremely slow in first gear for some reason until it hits a certain rpm then it just takes off. But idk whats wrong with it. Could it be a fuel/air mixture kind of thing or what? I also noticed that it doesnt do it if i start it up and take it out of the driveway, just when the engine is hot. The engine also seems to be alot hotter than the old one was after a run around town.

Second off if i am crusing along say in 4th gear i can hear it cut out for about a split second every once in a while. Also i have no idea how to fix that.

If it is just an adjustment then could you let me know where its at and how far you think i should turn it in either direction?

If you guys on here could just give me some thoughts and/or advice that would be greatly appreciated! There is a guy here that could help me with it but i cants talk to him till monday and was hoping to get it running right tomorrow. I also dont know too much about motors so if its something dumb then sorry.

Thanks

well i know the grounds are good because i bought all new wires and wire brushed all the contact points and put a little contact grease on all of them so they should be fine. But i will check the dizzy. I still have the one off my old d series and it worked fine so i will give it a shot. Thanks

ok... well i put the old dizzy on and it didnt make a difference at all... so i just drove the car around for about an hour to see how it would proform when it got hot.

Heres what i got out of my drive:
1. When hot it doesnt accelerate hardly at all until about 2800-3200rpms (bogs out)
2. If i lightly press the gas in lower rpms then it starts to jump
3. The hotter it gets the worse the acceleration gets in lower rpms
4. Once it gets above 3500rpms it runs like a dream and you would never know that there is anything wrong with it
5. I need to rev it up alot more than i should have to just to get it to move without feeling like its going to stall.

I am going to see the local foreign auto mechanic in the morning to see if he could tell me whats wrong with it. Alot of people around here have been saying that its probly some sort of sensor that has it screwed up or a wire thats disconnected or has a bad connection. I really have no idea what to do about it. If you have any ideas then please let me know. Thanks again

ya know what..its vtec,,,thats most likely the problem,,recheck the vtec ground wire..
because it sounds like your in vtec all the time..so the fuel maps are set for vtec

ok i will but if vtec is engaged all the time then why can i feel it give me a boost around 4200rpms?

kind of a dumb question but did you change the computer? maybe check the plugs too

ok i will but if vtec is engaged all the time then why can i feel it give me a boost around 4200rpms?
because your car is running in vtec.meaning itll run shitty on the lower rpms and normal in the vtec rpms,,
lets put it this way,,say your car has 2 modes,well call normal #1 and vtec #2-
your car would run(normally) from 0-4200 in mode #1,then vtec hits and it runs in mode #2..well your car is running in mode #1 in vtec and really shitty before vtec

kind of a dumb question but did you change the computer? maybe check the plugs too

yeah i did change the computer over it came out of the car the engine was in.

and back to the vtec ground wire, is that a wire aside from the plug that plugs into the solenoid like a ground wire to the engine itself or is it built into the plug?

Heres the problem,

I just put a D16Z6 in my 92 hatch and it runs alot better than the old D15B8 that was in there aside from a few things.

First off it accelerates extremely slow in first gear for some reason until it hits a certain rpm then it just takes off. But idk whats wrong with it. Could it be a fuel/air mixture kind of thing or what? I also noticed that it doesnt do it if i start it up and take it out of the driveway, just when the engine is hot. The engine also seems to be alot hotter than the old one was after a run around town.

Second off if i am crusing along say in 4th gear i can hear it cut out for about a split second every once in a while. Also i have no idea how to fix that.

If it is just an adjustment then could you let me know where its at and how far you think i should turn it in either direction?

If you guys on here could just give me some thoughts and/or advice that would be greatly appreciated! There is a guy here that could help me with it but i cants talk to him till monday and was hoping to get it running right tomorrow. I also dont know too much about motors so if its something dumb then sorry.

Thanks

Your answer is right there. When the engine is cold it will run rich. Your problem is simply a fuel issue. Could be the ecu, fuel system components, oxygen sensor, etc. Can be so many things, need more information to diagnose your problem exactly.

My cousin's car does the same thing(stock 94 EX with D16Z6). It also feels pretty slow below 3500rpm. We have yet to figure out what it is(and no, it's not an issue with VTEC). At first we thought it was normal but other Si's/EX feel faster(only car at the moment to compare it to was my D15B VTEC EF, but we though the lighter weight made it feel faster).

yeah... i am thinking that it has something to do with the fuel whether it is running too rich, too lean, or the pressure is too high or too low because it smokes a little when i accelerate and its not like the smoke that came out of my old engine that shot little spots of oil all over my car and anyone behind me its more of a clear or white smoke and it smells a little like fuel. does it a little while idling. Im still not sure though so if you still have any ideas then let me know. I have an appt at the foreign auto garage tomorrow morning and he is going to figure it out for me cuzi gave him the transmission off my old motor. So i will let you guys know what it was tomorrow night hopefully if it doesnt take too long so those of you that have the same problem will know where to start.

and thanks to all for your suggestions

if you're seeing black smoke, you're running rich.. most likely caused by fuel pressure

i had the same thing happen to me with my b16.. feels like a dog until 3-3.5k rpm

Ok sorry to add on but i just put a d16z6 in my 95 eg same problem except my car dosent even have enough power to pull my driveway between 1-3000 rpm its barely even drivable. I have aftermarket injectors in it new plugs wires rotor cap coil ignitor and still nothing oh and map sensor. . Im at a lose. The only thing i can think of is the ecu im runnin stock p06 but i have a aftermarket vtec controller do i need a p28 to run that motor. REALLY NEED HELP THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER!! Also i read above black smoke is fuel blue smoke oil white smoke coolant. I just got this motor in with a new head gasket but she puffs white smoke?? Oh another quicky does the (UP) on the cam gear go absolutely straight up or is it to the side a little bit cuz the motor slants in the car??

Last edited:
ok here's the deal I have a 94 si w/b16a4 and jrsc had all the same issues you are all describing changed everything o2 ,plugs, wires,dizzy ,etc you get my point but the problem was solved on the dyno one of the guys noticed my fuel pressure dropping to 20 psi so after spending almost 3g's I get a 99$ walbro pump and a 20 AZ fuel filter and haven't seen a hesitation yet

Back