d16z6 all motor build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I have a 95 honda civic ex that needs a little pepper in its @$$. I already plan on doing a CAI, headers, and 2 1/4'' exhaust. What other engine work could I do for low costs to get more hp out of my sohc-tec. BTW going turbo or nos are not options; this car is my daily driver, and besides the turbo is going on my 95 teg.

Only one header please.

You could toss in some DOHC ZC (PM7 or P29) pistons to take your compression up to 12.0:1, then get a hotter cam like a Crower Stage 3 and its matching valvetrain. With tuning, this setup could easily get you to 160whp (or more if you're lucky).

i´m not a huge d series builder, but i remember in the rookie years when i built a D16Z6 block with D16y8 head. Had some JE pistons that bumped up 12 to 1 comperssion, mild cams, I H E, chipped p28, ported and polished head, 3 angle valve job, back cut valves, and minor fuel and ignition systems. Ran a 13.2 at CMI sacramento. this setup was in my 94 hatch all stripped.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Aug 26 2004, 01:54 PM
i´m not a huge d series builder, but i remember in the rookie years when i built a D16Z6 block with D16y8 head. Had some JE pistons that bumped up 12 to 1 comperssion, mild cams, I H E, chipped p28, ported and polished head, 3 angle valve job, back cut valves, and minor fuel and ignition systems. Ran a 13.2 at CMI sacramento. this setup was in my 94 hatch all stripped.
[post=382191]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you ever get a dyno run on that engine? That's a very respectable time for an all motor D series!

I heard the crower 3 was a pain to get right but thats only what i heard....i like my zex 59300 cam.....good luck with your build...i ran a 14.44@95.63 last night....zc pistons waiting to be put in.

The ZEX cams are excellent too- I think they're easier to put in. Crower's web site states that there are some modifications that need to be made to the head in order for the Stage 3 to drop in.

Cam choice is the biggest problem with D series. I ran skunk2s. Call up wesley at Capital High Performance, he knows good cam choices on many setups.

My friend and I have a small duel going. He is going to do a small junk yard turbo setup, and I am going to do pistons (i like the zc idea), cams, valve train, cam gear, and possibly underdata (my cheese out and get a vafc). Should be interested to race on the track, we both have civic coupes with s16z6.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Aug 27 2004, 04:42 PM
My friend and I have a small duel going. He is going to do a small junk yard turbo setup, and I am going to do pistons (i like the zc idea), cams, valve train, cam gear, and possibly underdata (my cheese out and get a vafc). Should be interested to race on the track, we both have civic coupes with s16z6.
[post=382825]Quoted post[/post]​

Good luck. He'll be trying to race on brute force- you're going to need more finesse on the launch and your shifting. You might want to try and lose some weight on the car for the race, and make absolutely sure you have traction and are able to make a good first few hundred feet. Your advantage will be power curve at the start- he'll be waiting to build boost while you're pulling away. Stay in front long enough and he might not be able to catch you... but it'll probably still be tight if he's able to push anywhere near 200whp.

Originally posted by Blanco+Aug 28 2004, 07:37 PM-->
@Aug 26 2004, 12:19 PM
Only one header please.

You could toss in some DOHC ZC (PM7 or P29) pistons to take your compression up to 12.0:1, then get a hotter cam like a Crower Stage 3 and its matching valvetrain. With tuning, this setup could easily get you to 160whp (or more if you're lucky).
[post=382154]Quoted post[/post]​

Question about this setup, after reading through this thread. The Crower Stage 3 looks like a lot lumpier cam than the Comp/Zex 59300. So, would the 59300 be under-camming the engine for such a high c/r?
[post=383131]Quoted post[/post]​

Not sure- lots of people have had really good results with the 59300 with 12 ish compression, and I haven't seen too many dyno charts or even heard of many people with the Crower stage 3 cam... I would have to do a lot of math to figure out what the ideal camshaft profile would be for that compression in a D series engine, and I really don't want to. It's all theoretics anyway.

Back