D16Z6 bad block good head, what are good donor blocks?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Angus

I got a '92 Civic EX from a customer that put a hole in the side of the D16Z6 block. The Vtec head is good, but now I'm looking for a good core block to rebuild. I will be giving this car to my kids and want to go fairly cheap and stock as possible. What other block combinations will work besides the D16Z6? I have a guy that wants to sell me a D15, but I am afraid the compression will be too high. No high octane fuel, economical is the plan. I also do not want to drive with a "check engine" light or other oddities. I can live with a hybrid as long as my girls can drive it as a normal car. I only stress that because I own other hotrods and the "normal" upkeep is not for the kids at this time.

Thanks, Angus

What do you mean tap the block? Are you talking removing the mister or rethreading the head bolt threads? I am hoping to find a good core as I am a shop and will do the rebuild myself. I have had bad luck in the past buying a motor that was "ready to go just drop her in".

Thanks

I am a shop and plan on doing the rebuild myself. I have checked the engine site and they want more than $500 for a D16Z6. I only need a short block since my head is good and I do not want extra parts laying around. What do you mean tap the block? Are you talking about removeing the oil mister or retaping the head bolt threads?

Thanks

well the d15b vtec that hmotors sells is more powerfull than the d16z6 and thats how much i paid for mine, but what i mean is the z6 is a vtec head so if you put it on a none vtec block you have to get oil to the vtec selenoid.

I know people use the D15, but I have heard that it raises the compression. As I stated in the beginning this is going to be a daily driver for my girls and I do not want something that may be picky about gas. Of course if the compression can be lowered to stock D16Z6 levels and the computer doesnt know the difference, I do not care about the .1 cc loss. I guess that is my true question.

Angus

naa any d series will run off of normal pump gas no problem. but as to get it to pass smog is a diffrent story i live in alabama so we dont have smog to pass here.

Even at 10:1 or higher? We do not have smog test in Kansas, but we do have 87octane fuel. I guess my V8 roots are showing. So what combinations, (block,crank, rods, pistons) should I look for or consider buying?

Thanks alot guys!

I hope this doesnt double post. I replied a few minutes ago but it never came threw. Anyway doesnt the D15 with D16 vtec head get 10:1 compression? I only want to run 87octane gas for economy reasons. Not worried about smog test, we dont have them, but I do not want a "check engine" light from the OBD computer.

Thanks

it dont matter on the commpression as long as the sensors are fine your stock ecu will work with no lights and also the d series z6 has 9.2.1 compression.and the d15b is only slightly diffrent i think its lower

OK, which blocks and or combinations should I be looking for? Thanks, this opens the possibilities for shopping! I had a guy that said he had a "1.5" running take-out for $100. He said it would work also, I just didn't know that much about the swapping potential. Is that reasonable or should I keep searching?

Thank you

well stick with a 92-95 civic motor any will drop right in and plug right up and the z6 head you have will also work just fine on them, but if its just for your girls and power realy dont mater that much just drop the whole 1.5 in there the only diffrent would be it wouldnt have vtec and theres only about 15-20 hp diffrents, but if you wont the vtec any 92-95 civic motor 1.6 or 1.5 will work just fine and plug right up

OK, I have found D15 and D17 short blocks. Which would be the best for my D16Z6 head? Remember I am looking for a way to make a good daily driver and not anything that will require high octane. Thanks as I am somewhat lost in the Honda world.

Angus

Ok, enough with the false information.

You do NOT have to tap D series blocks to get oil to the VTEC system- all you have to do is pull the oil squirter out from between cylinders 2 and 3. A D16Z6 head will NOT bolt onto a D17 short block. Only use the D15 and D16 16 valve blocks.

Angus- if you want a working D series engine that's not going to require high octane gas, you need to get yourself a D16Z6 or D16Y8 bottom end. The non-VTEC short blocks use pistons with smaller dishes (some have small domes) in the crowns, and combined with the smaller combustion chambers of the VTEC head, your compression will be high enough to need more than 87 octane.

Sorry Angus, but most of the information that ahhvtec has told you is false.

please point out what you think is false and tell us why.

All of Cal's info sounds correct to me. And you are wrong in thinking that a higher compression motor doesn't need higher octane fuel, because it does.

You want a 92-95 DX or EX block. That's it. No VX, no CX. The DX block will raise the compression, but not enough to require higher than 87 octane.

Back