d16z6 head &d16y8 block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i have a 1993 honda civic ex (d15b7)on it
i got a d16z6 head with a d16y8vtec head,it came with dc headers ,pnp head and new water pump and timing belt
(motor is only 3mths old,buddy did a gsr swap so i took this motor)
any way i need 2 know if the d16y8 head distributor will work right into my harness

also i ordered a ecu and i am setting it like this
vtec activation 4200
rev limit 7500
they also ask me if i want full throttle launch and full throttle shift rpm
i dont know WTF these r
(i haven't given the final go to program the ecu yet)
they sent me to this site 2 fill in the form www.racingchips.com/chip.html

any info or advice plzzz reply

What? If you are asking if your y8 distridutor will work with the z6 head, the answer is yes and no. It will plug into the whole and even run the engine but the mounting point are different so you need to either modify th mounts or just use the one from the z6. Hope that helps

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the ex come standard with the z6.

[i am asking if the obd2 d16y8 head distrbutor will plug into my obd1 harness
my wire harness has 2 plugs which goes into the distributor
the distrbutor on the d16y8 head has only one plug which goes into the distributor
however i notice a single red wire has been soldered into the distributor(d16y8) why its there???? i have no idea(mayb rpm)

and no not all ex civic came with the d16z6 motor

any help /advice..........or on the ecu programming
reply plzzz

Your distributor must be modified or something because I have done that swap before and the distributor from the y8 pluged right into my harness. I had a 94 Dx with the harness modified for vtec I dropped in a y8 in it everything plugged right in. As for you ecu question, I've never heard about what you are talking about. Do you have an automatic transmission?

BTW, I believe I'm right about the ex, check out the link

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29825

All 92-95 EX Civics built for the US market came with the D16Z6 engine. Maybe this guy is in Canada? Canada's EX is the US's LX.

The wiring and ECU for the D16Z6 will work fine with the Y8 block with Z6 head.

Full throttle launch typically sets a rev limiter for when you're standing still- so you can have your foot on the floor and have the engine hold at 4000 rpm or something before you launch- and as soon as you start moving, the ECU removes the launch limiter and lets you go to redline.

Full throttle shift does the same thing- as soon as you punch in the clutch, the ECU throttles the engine down to a certain speed so you can shift with your foot still on the floor.

YES YOUR right i am in canada
and thank you for explaining the full throttle launch and shift
i dont have a ecu 4 the vtec so i ordered one and the guy wanted me to give him values for idle,vtec activation ,rpm rev limit,and all dat sh!t

AS FAR AS THE DISTRIBUTOR GOES my wireharness for the d15b7 has 2 plugs that go into the distrubutor however the d16y8 has only one plug that one plug fits into my wire harness however the other plug ( 2 wires) i dont know where it goes on the d16y8 distributor.
i have notice a single RED wire has been soldered into the distributor and it is jus hangin there?????

any ideas guys
my trans is a manual 5 speed (o and i have a rpm gauge in the dash cluster)came like that.

does anyone out there know if a distributor/dizzy from a d15b7 will fit on a d16y8?????????????
dizzy on d15b7 has 2 plugs one plug has about 8 wires the same as the d16y8
however the d15b7 dizzy also has a plug with just 2 wires?????
so a wanna know if i can swap the dizzy from the d15b7 on to the d16y8
any info on this or any of the above topic
plzz reply
thank u :worthy: :eek:

You're welcome, and sorry. I don't know the answer to your distributor question. Good luck! Bump for you.

ok my ecu was set like this
vtec activation..............4200rpm
rev limit ......................7500
idle..............................750
speed limiter................unlimited
full throttle shift............5000

i am doin the head gasket (d16y8 head on a d16z6 block)
i notice one head bolt is f!@#ing too long......
i ordered head bolt 4 a d16y8 motor and they r 2 short so i ended up using the head bolts 4 a d16z6 but now one bolt on #4 cyl.(top left corner)is too long
what should i do??????
:blink:
anybody ????

did you try using one of the y8 bolts. Thats what I did when I swithched heads and it worked. Its a good idea to use thread locker. Anyway I gained absolutely nothing from doing that conversion the heads are pretty much the same except for the combustion chamber and that gains you very little unless you use the y8 intake manifold and in which case the you only gain like 2hp. Also I wonder why you set your vtec engagement so low unless you have an aftermarket camshaft or running forced induction, its not goint to be very beneficial for you.

I'm not trying to reign on your parade but I'm trying to save you some headaches that I've had.

heeeeelllllpppppp...... im doin a conversion to help a friend out.................
heres what i got. he bent valves in his d16z6....... i had a y8 head layin in my shed. put the y8 head on his z6 block...... the timin marks on the cam and head have me stumped...... how do i time this motor? doin all the shit for the dizzy swap is nothing. i just dont know how to set the timing on the front of the motor....

u fukin dumbass. not tryin to jack shit. didnt look at the date. just tryin to get some help with something. googled what i was lookin for and it landed me there.these forums are for any body........... right????????

not tryin to diss anybody. dont take kindly to anybody tryin to be a smartass for no reason. dont see any reason to be nice after that comment.

Back