d16z6 in 89 hf

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok got the code... its a 22. Which I read to be a VTEC oil pressure switch circuit. what could be the trouble?

a car not running, a cel 22 and no info(that I could find) on fixing this problem. Does the vtec solenoid need to have its own ground wire in order to ground it? Blanco if I need a ground wire for the vtec solenoid I beleive you could be right. **opens mouth and inserts foot** If this isnt it I have no clue. Help! :)

ok so the vtec solenoid needs a seperate wire running from the metal casing of the solenoid to the thermostat housing in order to ground it? Or do I take the white wire from the connector of the pressure switch and ground that? Thanks

you need to ground the other wire in the pressure switch and hopefully that will do it. i know what you are goin through. ive been workin on my z6 swap for a couple months now

see I told you I didnt receive all the instructions... I got the first page you scanned but never got the second... those rywire guys really need to get their act together. Now blanco the white wire on the harness is for the ground on the vtec pressure switch right? If I cut that wire behind the plug and ground it... that should solve my problem right?

well no I havent talked to them with a non-accusitory manner but they have not given me a reason not to. They have been lackidasical and careless with taking care of a paying customer which in my opinion was not very professional. On another note, the car caught on fire tonight. Fault of my own, I sprayed ether in the intake. The car backfired through the intake dripping ether which was on fire onto my o2 sensor. I was able to get it put out before any major damage was done. The only wires I see running to the vtec solenoid are black which runs to a square plug, and a round plug(runs to the pressure switch) the wires leading to the round plug are green and white on the harness I received from rywire. Never seen a blue/black wire on this harness. How can I test the injectors to see if they are spraying fuel into the intake? When it caught on fire some wires were melted, the wires to the map sensor were melted with copper wire exposed, I'm going to re-solder these wires and that should be good to go. The other wires that were damaged were the wires to the temp sensor near the plug on the thermostat housing... all of it very repairable. This is good news. I plan to take a few days to think all this through. I could have burned the car to the ground, and am very thankful I didnt. You are right blanco, im ashamed and embarrassed by all of this. Its susposed to be fun and I'm just not thinking right. I have searched until I've given myself headaches about this CEL 22 im throwing. I guess I should call rywire and see what they have to say about all this. Anymore Ideas? I need to be certain I have fuel through the injectors. Before when I said I had spark and fuel, I only checked to see if I have fuel to the rail and overlooked the injectors. The car isnt going to crank for sure with bad injectors. The injectors on the car now have black plugs on them is that obd1 or obd0 injectors? This car should be running!!! And hopefully it will be soon. Thanks again guys

ok in the attachment the red box is the thermostat ground location... it is grounded. The blue box, is that where you grounded your vtec pressure switch? The vtec pressure switch screws in and has a plug that mates with it. So there are 2 wires that lead up to this switch and those are the 2 on the female side of the plug. These wires are green and white(the wires that come out the back end of the female plug). Now the directions told me to hook the green wire to the vtec pressure switch. It is located below the vtec solenoid. Connect the green wire on the conversion harness to the blue wire on the pressure switch, and the other wire which is white needs to be connected to a good ground source. Ok I dont see any wires that are blue associated anywhere near the pressure switch...:confused:

Attachments

• car2.JPG
    car2.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 251
ok will ground the pressure switch tomorrow and fix anything else that may be jacked up. Then I will troubleshoot from there. The plug on my rywire harness isnt green, doesnt matter I guess they use refurbished plugs in building the harnesses. The orientation of my plug is different as well I guess just because the pressure switch is threaded and depending on where the first thread catches orients the plug accordingly... I dont guess that matters so long as it is tight, grounded and my ground is in fact the ground wire and not the signal wire... Thanks again and I'm sure I will keep you posted on all this mess. Wonder if this switch being grounded really makes that big a difference. I gotta be honest, I'm a bit skeptical but it wouldnt surprise me.

ok grounded the pressure switch, fixed the melted mess of wires, hooked up a damn toggle switch, and it still dont crank. Throwing a cel 3 now. I beleive this is a map sensor code but will have to further look into that. This thing sounds better with the pressure switch grounded, almost cranking, it turns over and fires but doesnt run. Any other ideas?

I replaced those sections of wire, cut off the bad and resoldered new wires on. I even put heat shrink tubing on the connections! haha it sure beats electrical tape. At any rate, it still don't run and doesnt give me an error code either. What to do now? About those error codes, If the computer doesnt find anything wrong and it doesnt have an error code to display when the toggle switch is on should the check engine light still come on and stay illuminated?

I repaired the cel 3 I was throwing, my wires were mixed around.

I just bought the silly ecu... surely its not the ecu. Everything is grounded, hooked up nicely. I'm using the stock ground battery cable but that shouldnt matter right? I mean that stock cable should be enough to let current pass... and it don't get even warm when trying to crank this thing.

Last edited:
I dont know what to do with this retarded thing... I mean I just bought this computer from rywire, I was very careful with it. I always disconnected the battery before hooking up the computer. And now you think its the computer, gah. Those things arent cheap! I get a solid cel when trying to check for codes. HELP! Everything is pluged up as it should be already double checked everything. I may just give up on this project and part everything out. I either need a car or money one.

ok ill just contact peter or ryan... thanks for all the help

I haven't been able to contact peter or ryan, been working alot. Havent even so much as looked at the car since haloween. I found a 94 ex for sale which has the d16z6 in it and am prolly gonna buy it and save the engine in the crx just in case the one in the ex craps out on me. I know the crx would be faster since the weight of the vehicles compared is quite a difference but I just think I may be tired of fooling with this crx project. I have done a couple of zc swaps before and none of them have been as difficult as this swap. I mean not that it was so difficult it was actually fun putting the engine in. I just think something is majorly wrong otherwise she would be running by now. I've done everything I know to do. My so called buddy traded me a d16z6 with tranny, header, axles (pretty much all I needed for this swap except ecu and harness) for a b18b1 ls engine that had nothing but the engine. I thought it was a straight up trade but I think he screwed me cuz this motor isnt running. I can't help but think something major could be wrong. Oh well I think I will enjoy the ex better anyway.

is the map sensor on the throttle body? you need to move it off the firewall to the TB. i was having the same problem as you are until i got a tb with the map sensor on it and it started right up.

ok does anyone have a pic of their engine bay cuz I think I may have found my problem. I think I got the fuel line mixed up on the firewall mounted fuel filter. lemme know oh and by the way I have the map sensor on the tb. Thanks

I never recieved directions telling me to hook up a toggle switch to check codes... the only directions I recieved from rywire were which wires to hook up for the 4 wire o2 sensor... how do you use a toggle switch to check codes?

This is what we send to customers.
Rywire - Online Store
You'll see it tells you much more than "just how to hook up the 4-wire o2"

Talked to Robert earlier on the phone, sorry we weren't more available for you.
~ Peter

Last edited:
Peter and I have resolved any/all differences.

Last edited:
Back