D16Z6 into '88 CRX HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88crxhf

I met a guy swapping a B-series into his Del Sol Si. That means he's getting rid of the D16Z6 that is in it now.
Here is where I come in. He's offering the full motor, tranny, and ecu for $350. That sounds like a fair price to me.
Here is where the problems start. This will be the first swap I will be performing, and I'm not so confident. I'll be putting the motor into an '88 CRX HF, that currently has the D15B6, and to the best of my knowledge, the original HF transmission. It is a 5-speed manual transmission. I've been told that this is a very simple swap. It is my understanding that I will need to modify the ECU. I'm assuming I can use the jumper/harness from Rywire - Online Store. I'm also thinking that I should be able to use the stock motor mounts. Nex problem is the transmission. The transmission on that engine is hydraulic, and the transmission that came in my car is cable based. I've been told various things, but I'm not sure how I should handle that transmission problem? I guess I could buy the conversion kit from Hasport Performance, Inc. . Some people are trying to tell me that the engine would bolt right onto the stock HF transmission. I really don't know. I've also heard people mentioning something along the lines of the '88 has a 21 spline transmission, and the other years had a 22. That's all fine and dandy but I don't know what that means.
If anyone has performed this swap, or knows of someone elses project in which they performed this swap, please help me out.
Also, I know the D15B6 is MPFI, but is it the same as the CRX Si? I've been told it's not.
Thanks for all the help,
-Bryan

this is what you need, you will need to swap your driver side motor mount off your stock motor to the new one,, and yes the new motor will bolt right up to the stock hf tranny but its gona suck doing it that way because the hf tranny was ment as a gas saver super long gears, so put the z6 tranny in there, you will also need to convert to obd1, with the help of rywire, and no worrying about converting to mpfi because the hf is already set for that.

my first swap was putting a Z6 into my 90 hatch. Its really not as hard as it seems. Just make sure you put all your bolts in bags and lable them.

use your stock tranny. and use the search feature, this question is asked every day at least five times.

Last edited:
Back