D16z6 Oil Pump in a D16a6 Block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89' Project Civic

d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"
I'm doing a STOCK rebuild on my D16a6 block and I heard you can use the z6 oil pump because it has better flow. I was wondering what the advantages of this would be on a STOCK motor. The only thing that is not STOCK is the Crower "stage 1" cam I bought for the D16y8 head. Any suggestions will be greatly taken. Thanks!.

There is no advantage as the block itself will dictate how much oil it can flow. Anything "extra" will just get kicked out the pressure relief valve; thus wasted energy on pumping oil that won't even be used.

If anything, just port out your stock pump.

Ok, thanks!. I will stick to my stock oil pump, but I don't see that I need it now because it's only a stock set-up. Am I correct or should I modify it somehow?. Thank god it's the a6 block and not the y8 block because y8's spin bearings a lot. I am using the y8 head though.

You don't need to modify it but you can just to make the most out of it.

I was thinking about buying a new one on eBay for $100 odd dollars to my door, but I will see if my machinist laughs at that idea.

The ebay ones are similar to stock. The modification is simply porting the oil ports for a smooth flow and shimming the oil pressure relief valve(to increase max pressure).

Here's Endyn's ported pump:
Oil%20Pump%201%20A.jpg

There's a How-to on Onecamonly.com(by Rushi) also: http://www.onecamonly.com/general-tech/1872-modifying-oilpump-high-performance-use.html

These types of work are not found in any aftermarket D-series oil pump.

I didn't want the eBay one to make more pressure, but just so that I know my block is built right. Thanks for the porting site, I will make damn sure I check it out.

Rep'd

I believe they're all changed to use the same pump now; but the different flow ratings lead me to believe the original pumps are slightly different(the 88-91's were originally PM3 pumps, but now they're all reverted to P06 pumps).

Back