d16z6 problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delsolproject112

ok so after switching heads and doing valve lashing i didnt touch the timing belt i left it the way it came off the cam gear and figured i could just slip it back on without having to worry about timing. Everything was TDC but now it idles raugh and when you twist the distributor it either runs "better" or worse better being still crap. and when i give it gas it hesitates at about 4500rpm for like half a second? could this be because my timing is off? this is my first project so any help would be wonderful!

you can never take off the belt and slip it back on the cams like the way it sounds here. you have to reset the timing AND the tensioner. check to see that your engine doesnt require you to set the oil pump timing too i forget which engines require this off the top of my head but some do require this. be sure you set the cam gear timing marks correctly too. and if you have adjustable cam gears swap those to stock ones or go to a serious race shop and have them do your timing belt. no offense but adjustable cam gears are not for a first project person in my opinion. now when you swapped the head did you do a valve job and use a new head gasket set? you can reuse timing belts but for 45 bucks you caould get a new one. i recomend using dealer ones for inportant parts like these. timing belts and head gasket. distributor cap and rotors too are on my deaper part use only list.

get a cam gear lock tool from mac tools to help you. the cams always want to shift because of the valve springs pushing the rocker arms against the cam lobes. this tool is a big help for even the profesional technicians.

re-check your cam timing.
i always turn the engine over (counter-clockwise only) by hand a couple times and check it again.
then use a timing light to set ignition base timing to 16*btdc.

Last edited:
can you actually put the distributor on 180 degrees off on the d16z6? i thought the groove on the cam was slightly off-center and the tongue on the dizzy matching that off-center amount thus eliminating the 180 degree screw-up issue? maybe i'm wrong?

you can not put the dizzy 180 out it is grooved..
set the crank to TDC so number one cyl is all the way up..on the actual pulley there will be marks
set the cam to TDC should be 3 marks..2 paralled to the head..one pointing up..put the belt on so all the tension is out on the front..then rotate it 3-4 teeth..tighten the tensioner pulley..and spin it over again to make sure its all tdc

you can not put the dizzy 180 out it is grooved..
set the crank to TDC so number one cyl is all the way up..on the actual pulley there will be marks
set the cam to TDC should be 3 marks..2 paralled to the head..one pointing up..put the belt on so all the tension is out on the front..then rotate it 3-4 teeth..tighten the tensioner pulley..and spin it over again to make sure its all tdc
thanks for verifying my thought. i didnt think he could put that dizzy on 180 degrees off but i thought maybe he has something i never seen

Back