D16z6 rebuild?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I guess I should first give a description of what I have...a z6 w/ hf manifold, t-25, greddy profec b-boost control, b&m command flow FPR, vortec FMU (hate it), RC 310 injectors and missing link (also junk). I was running 5 psi and blew my engine.

I have about a 1000 to spend on some parts and i was thinking i need to put it into the block...i already have a port and polished head but its not on the car, didnt want to run into trouble and wreck it on the worn out stock block. Im just wondering what i could do to prevent a blown motor in the future and push a little more boost. I do have a chipped p28 with a chip burner and full conversion harness, innovative wideband and datalogging software to tune the vechile after the rebuild. I just need some help on what i should do for the block???

I am a mechanic and have full access to equipment and a machine shop, free of cost. I have a full understanding of engine rebuild but its been a while since i have been on a mill. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated.

You say you blew your engine. Have you torn it down already? What's broken? That would be important info seeing that you only have 1 grand to spend.

i would pretty much guarantee that lack of tuning "blew" your motor

if you can tune it you can prob get away with a stock rebuild/refresh and then tune it and it should be fine

i am also curious to know what "blew" exactly
did you launch a rod? wash the cylinders down?
spin a bearing? snap ring lands? pop the head gasket?

and the only real way you can ruin a head is overheating = warping, snap a timing belt = bent valves, or launch a rod/piston into the open valves

i would imagine with only 5psi on a t-25 that you did not grenade the motor

I haven't had any time to look at it, but I know that i grenaded the head gasket. When it happened i was going down a highway thats in the middle of nowhere, so i couldnt pull off any exits. I had to drive the damn thing another 15 miles or so. So i'm guessing the original problem(head gasket) isnt what is gonna cause me problems, its gonna be the overheating for 15 miles. I got it towed back to my house which is over an hour away so i cant really know the full extent of the problems till this weekend.

you make a good point there, but for now i only have $1000. And Ive had another hatch with a B16 and it was pretty damn fast, but i got in a front end collision and everything was wrecked. And insurance doesnt give any more money for the b16, which sucked. So i put a Z6 in this car cause it wasnt as much money so if anything was to happen, i wouldnt get screwed and lose an expensive motor again.

hey man your solution is HONDATA and a ruputable tuner (www.rs-motors.net if your in MN). i say you got a good base, but get rid of all that so called tuning stuff and get the s200 or s300, and a 3bar. we have a stock 1.5vtec crx we mess around with at our shop thats runs 14 flat daily driven, gt28rs, thermal exhaust and s200.

oh wait, what kind of car do you have? you might want swap to a b-series but singles are alot cheaper when you blow em up :wink:

Back