d16z6 swap and no spark

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lyttlekiller

I have a 1989 honda civic hatchback si i did a d16z6 (1.6 sohc v-tec) swap i pulled the motor out of a 1988 honda civic sedan. I put it in my civic the same way he put it in his civic. I bought a new distributor and I'm getting power to the distributor but no spark. im getting fuel to the motor. Could it be a bad ground sume where, main rely, or the distributor. :confused:

X2 on grounds
You didn't state but I'm hoping you are also running a P28 with a jumper harness?

i think its a p28 but no jumper harness and i bought a new distributor unit

You have to have a OBD1 VTEC ECU to run that motor correctly. P28 is the OEM ECU for your D16Z6. This would also make you run a jumper harness from OBD0 to OBD1 so the ECU plugs into the older car. "If" the engine harness out of the older EF was done right (no shorts or bad connections) then it should plug in at the shock tower plugs and with the jumper/P28 it should be ready to run.

You should confirm what ECU you are running and triple check ALL grounds and such.

i'm useing v-tec ecu and the harness is from the 95 civic si is it better to use the old harness with a jumper if so what sites can i get one from. and i will check all grounds again today

ok your problem lies with your wiring, you are running an odb1 motor/ecu with old obd0 wiring now simply pluging in a 95 si harness will not help you, first you must have the original harness's for the car convert it from DPFI to MPFI then using a jumper for your ecu (obd0-obd1) once done should run just fine, ill even post the write up for you. https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/

once done properly your car should have no problems given that everything has been done right

another option is to get an 88-91 civic hatch si cabin/engine bay harness and converting the entire car to si wiring will eliminate the need to do the DPFI-MPFI, but i am unaware of how extensive it would be to swap the entire harness to the si harness im sure you would need to change dash components such as cluster and such i know the relays and what not are all the same and does not differ from dx-si

i think the guy who had the 95 motor and the harness mod sume things but he never used a jumper or any thing he found out what wire he need and got the car run and when i put the motor in my car i put all the wires in the same place he did. i will go take sume pics

Oh ok I see your car is an 88-91 si and your useing a 95 si harness well that's part of the problem you need the 88-91 si harnes from crx or hatch (si) then just grab a jumper for ecu and your should be good to go

I dont think all the OBD1 plugs will plug into the shock towers. From what I know...splicing needs to be done to make the swap happen. You need both the Si harness for the car and the D16Z6 harness and mate them together. And your friend may of had the nmotor running but without an OBD1 ECU....I'm almost positive there was no VTEC engaging.

he use the obd1 ecu and will my 1989 honda wiring harness plug into the 95 motor or i have to mod sume plugs to make it work and what sites can i get a jumper from

Back