D16z6 swap in EF hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

//Zee-Roh//

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum as well, and contemplating this swap for my 90 Si hatch w/ 190k on it... a couple of questions I had were:

How much has the project set you back thus far?

How much time did it take (after everything was there) to get it in and running?

1-10, how difficult was the overall swap?

Now, for the seasoned hondaswap veterans:

My alltrac is down (being built), and I need a swap that after I amass all of the parts, and get my prep done beforehand, I can bust the swap out in a weekend. Is this possible? This is my only running car, so I definately don't want it to be down forever. Also, I plan on boosting it, so do you guys have any tips on turbo kits/boost levels/etc. on this engine swap? I'm a delivery driver, so it'd HAVE to be COMPLETELY reliable (as my D16a6 is right now).

Thanks in advance!

-Joel

I just did this swap, so I'll help you out as much as I can.

1. I bought a z6 with an SI trans for $450 [locally], but it turned out to have a warped head, so I figured I'd just have it built, so don't ask me what it's costed now... however, if you find a deal like I did ($450), + ECU harness and stuff, look for around $600 total(being optimistic).

2. Time- it depends. If your experienced and have done a swap before, and know exactly how to wire in vtec and o2 sensor, maybe 1/2 a day. if this is your first time, expect at least a day or so.(motor should be bolted in the car in about 15 min., then comes axles, coolant lines, radiator, harness and hoses.

3. hmm... it's hard to really say, but if you know what to do, wiring wise, I'd say maybe a 2-3 (my thinking being a B-series is a 4-5, H-series 6-7, and K-series 8-10)

Make sure you know EXACTLY what wires go where, and 'play' it over in your head until you do the swap. Also make sure you know which plugs are which(LABELS LABELS LABELS), and it will go smoothly in a day or 2.(get started right after work Friday, and you should be fine by Sunday night.

Boost- unless your confident you can do it yourself, and are very good with your hands, don't boost it for your main car. too many things can go wrong, and you'll be out of your job.
I would recommend a JRSC kit instead, just for the simple fact that it doesnt have the piping and couplers turbo's do, and is MUCH easier to install.

hope this helps

I figure I'll have at least 800-1000 to burn when it comes to the swap (at first, then more later)...and I already have an Si.....so I don't need a tranny....I was told US Si tranny's are the best when it comes to gearing and whatnot, plus there's nothing wrong with mine as of yet. I'm also going to do a clutch (since the motor will be out). I also plan on building the head slightly (aftermarket cam and cam gear) as well as pullies, water + oil pump, etc. I plan on doing this right, and I'm sure I can find a cheap engine locally and rebuild it. How many miles would you say an engine could have before becoming a bad candidate for a swap? I want a new(er) engine, and am willing to pay for the lower mileage (JDM import isn't too out-of-reach). I'd like to have either a reman engine or a low mileage (<50kmi) on it. What are my chances of that? Any sources for reman/JDM engines that people normally use on here?

Well, I'm planning on doing it in stages... First, aquiring a z6 engine, then I'll redo the head gasket (for boost later on). I'm also going to build it up slightly before putting it in...and changing parts (water/oil pump, timing belt, etc.) After I get that all together, I'll slap it in, then save for a turbo kit to get that bad boy runnin' pretty quick.

What all have you done to the engine? What are your overall goals for your engine, and how much thus far have you invested (including build costs)?

I'd like to know what to budget (Gotta love tax time!)

Thanks for all the support!

-Joel

just got dont puttin a jdm z6 engine in my 91 dx...it wasnt that hard as long as you have techinical back round with workin on cars...tha hardest part i had was breakin the crank pulley bolt free....just make sure you have all your shit before u start including tools....mine started right up when i was done, had a fuel leak and the filter and just tightened that down...advice i can give is make sure u got the right computer and if any wiring problems come up contact rywire , they are awesome at wat they do...im very happy with the engine it rips all i need now is to boost it

I just want a lower mileage engine........USDM engines don't seem to have lower miles. I actually did take a look at your link...good stuff. I'm still trying to find an engine at a decent price with low miles.... -_-

If you're rebuilding the engine, why do you care what the milage is? You're going to replace all of the wear items.
^^^WERD^^^

All you need to do is replace the rings and bearings. And your set with a 0 mile engine.

Very true. I've just had bad luck with *high mileage* engines to work with. I'll take a look around. i'm still debating an all-motor vs. boosted setup. I just want closer to 100k than 30-50k......We'll see...

Isn't that what this is? LOL

I'd want something as powerful as reliability will allow (within limits). I'm not saying I want a 500hp honda that will go 500,000mi either. I just want a decently fast car that's decently reliable. Is that so hard?

Are you really insinuating that I'm not searching outside of this site? Hondas are pretty much the cockroaches of the planet....there must be 10,000,000 different parts and 10,000,000 different variations... so trying to find specific answers on specific parts for specific cars gets to be rather cumbersome. I'm absolutely open to any suggestions you have towards me searching more efficiently. I do not, however, appreciate the condemning tone in your messages, as well as the insinuations that I'm intentionally not doing things correctly, and that I'm asking for the impossible. I'm NOT an idiot, and I don't expect a 1000hp honda that gets 50mpg and will run 5,000,000mi before it dies...

Back