D16Z6 swap q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slowdxracer

I am thinking about swapping my D15B7 for a D16Z6 in my DX. My question is, when you run wires from the Vtec solenoid, oil pressure reg, etc. to the ecu howd o you connect them to the Z6 ecu? Do I have to buy some special connectors or anything? Any help is appreciated :)

cheapest: steal some ecu pins off an extra harness

easiest: buy an Ex or SI harness and plug it in at the shock tower connectors

or you could get a vfac and not get a new ecu. the connectors that hook up to the ecu have pins that have wires on them. u get pins from another harness or u can get new ones. then you run the to their appropiate location on the harness that hooks up to the ecu. hope this is clear. its hard to describe it.

yea but if you leave the stock ecu and run vafc it will be limited to around 6k rpm and stock redline on a z6 is 7200.....you might even have wires running to the ecu where vtec goes and just cut the wire and connect the 2 together and find where the other wire goes.

Originally posted by bigjussin@May 20 2004, 12:39 PM
cheapest: steal some ecu pins off an extra harness

easiest: buy an Ex or SI harness and plug it in at the shock tower connectors

.. if his car is a 1992 specific civic (any model) then a Si/EX engine harness will work no doubt (plug n' play no wiring needed) -- but -- if he owns a 93-95 non-vtec model, he'll still have to wire in VTEC from the passenger side shock tower-thrut he firewall-to the ecu plugs regardless of what engine harness he uses.

so.......i will have to just run wire from the vtec componets to the new ecu and get some ecu pins, wire them to it, and plug them into the corrosponding locations on the ecu? also, does anyone know if an EX tranny will help out? (my car is auto.)

Originally posted by slowdxracer@May 20 2004, 05:47 PM
so.......i will have to just run wire from the vtec componets to the new ecu and get some ecu pins, wire them to it, and plug them into the corrosponding locations on the ecu? also, does anyone know if an EX tranny will help out? (my car is auto.)

1992 civics are special.
If know for sure that you car is a 1992 model (any model), it is pre-wired for VTEC already. All you need to do is apply an EX or Si engine harness & a VTEC ecu to your vehicle to take advantage of this 'plug n play' gift.

If your car is a 93-95 non-vtec model, it is NOT prewired for VTEC, and yes, you will have to wire in the vtec components all the way to the respective ecu pinouts.

Sorry, i dont know the gear ratio of an EX tranny vs. DX auto trans..

yeah mine is a 95 DX. Can i just attach the pins to the wires, wrap them up, and plug them in? or would it be better to get the plugs off of an old EX harness and wire the wires to the plug?

Originally posted by slowdxracer@May 20 2004, 05:58 PM
yeah mine is a 95 DX. Can i just attach the pins to the wires, wrap them up, and plug them in? or would it be better to get the plugs off of an old EX harness and wire the wires to the plug?

Well, the easiest thing to do for wiring in vtec is to find a set of donor OBD1 plugs and unpin a couple of the pins (make sure they have a good couple inches of wiring behind them), then cut & splice longer wiring to them so they'll reach the VTEC solenoid & pressure switch, then insert the pins info the respective VTEC pinouts on your DX plugs.

there is pinouts on my DX plugs for vtec? wow i did not know that. that must be the things plugged with the little orange stopper thingy

Originally posted by slowdxracer@May 20 2004, 08:07 PM
there is pinouts on my DX plugs for vtec? wow i did not know that. that must be the things plugged with the little orange stopper thingy

yes, your DX plugs have empty pinouts for the VTEC & knock sensor components.

hey thanx for ur info. u have really helped me out on this. people have told me all sorts of things but u actually make sense. thanx for ur help ;)

Originally posted by slowdxracer@May 20 2004, 09:29 PM
hey thanx for ur info. u have really helped me out on this. people have told me all sorts of things but u actually make sense. thanx for ur help ;)

anytime.

Back