d16z6 timing help asap!!! please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

superlude1996

I just put a new head gasket on and new pistion rings (due to smoking). i repleaced the head gasket because it needed it bad. well anyways, i read the book and put all the marks dead on even TDC. i can crank the car but, when i put it in 1st gear and reverse then press the gas the car wants to die down. i press the gas and the car want to die as well. it there something i need to check out or redo. put it this way i can not move the car when i press the pedal cause it wants to die. im thinking i might have it a 180 off?... i not real good with timing so please help. thanks you

Have you checked your timing with a timing light? I know, when the shop did the belt on mine before I bought it, they put on a tooth off but it was able to be driven, with no problem but lacked in balls on the Vtec side. I would check your timing with a timing light and see where you stand. I would also check the markings on the cam and see if they line up appropriately with the marks on the cam cover and crank. Also what motor are we currently working with? Just my 2 cents on it. -Gary

If your timing is correct is the Dizzy positioned about the same spot as before you pulled it down? If it isnt your cam is probably a tooth out. If it drags on the starter motor when you go to start it the timing is too advanced, if it turns over easy and tries but takes time to fire properly then its probably too retarded.

Sorry. Just realized it was Z6. I would just make sure that the crank pulley is at the TDC mark and the cam mark lines up with the cover, because with the Z6, the lines don't line up with the head it self but the mark on the cover. I would check that, then check timing. If both check out, do a compression test to make sure everything is sealing right.

Take the spark plug out of #1 and carefully place a screwdriver into the spark plug hole.

Turn the crank until the screwdriver is at its highest point (it will be resting on the piston).

That is TDC for the bottom end. then check the cam gear and the two marks on the cam gear should be at 9 and 3 o'clock.

I also believe the cam gear will have an arrow that should be pointing up at noon.

Sometimes the Timing belt is right on and they tighten the tensioner and it moves the cam gear. This could be a problem and could make you timing off by a tooth ot two

You never know when someone else worked on the car and what they did so it could be off more but you say it runs a little so hopefully its off a tooth and you can fix it.

If its off...re-install the belt but rotate it so when the tensioner tightens and the cam gears move....your dead on when its all tight and ready to go.

Not sure about a mark on the block when the crank pulley is taken off. Ones I've done have a "key" that lets you know where the crank should be attached.

V8 to L8: you are speaking of where the pulleyt shoudl be at TDC? There's so many ways to do that and none involve taking the crank pulley off. Taking that thing off can be a PITA if you don't have access to an array of tools (either a 3/4 impact or a special tool to hold the crank in place)

Back