D16Z6 to D15B7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Whistler

Have a 93 Civic Ex with a D16Z6 and a hole in the block. Also have access to a low mileage D15B7 with tranny out of a 95 Civic Lx. I know that motor and tranny will bolt up. But being a noob I don't know about the ECU or the axles. The existing ECU is a P28. Do I need the ECU out of the 95 to make this work? I believe through researching this site that the 93 has a P20/B000 tranny and the 95 has a P20/A000 with final drive being 4.250 compared to 4.058. Any info would be of great value. Thanks,Whistler

You'll need to use the 95 ECU to use the full LX setup- otherwise the P28 ECU will throw a fit when it doesn't see a VTEC system.

You could also leave all the electronics as is and build a "mini-me" setup with the Z6 head on top of the B7 block.

Calesta,
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the info I'm looking for. If I go with the LX ecu will the existing wiring harness work as is? However the "mini me " setup is an option I hadn't thought about and I have the head in hand. Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure you can just use the existing wiring with the LX ECU and engine.

Good luck on the swap!

Just finished the swap.The motor runs very well with the P28. I have 3 codes 2 of which are from the lack of Vtec and the other is the #17 VSS. Replaced the Ex P28 with the LX P06 and as Calesta informed me the 2 Vtec codes went away. I checked the voltage at the VSS yellow/blue wire to the black wire with the key on and had 12 volts. I also had a spare Vss from the D16Y8 and swapped it but no change. No speedometer function. I now need some advice on where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,Whistler

I put the VSS back in from the LX. Is there something else I need to check here? Are there issues with the speedometer or transaxle that you know of? I guess I should check the feedback from the VSS while the wheels are turning.Could there be a problem with the drive for the VSS. It appears the VSS is driven mechanically by a small shaft from the transaxle.

I'm really not sure... I've never had to troubleshoot a VSS. Maybe you can find a factory service manual online and run through the flowcharts.

Tested the VSS per the book and mine was bad.Dealer wanted $104.00 for one and the local auto parts wanted $90.00.Found a new one on e-bay for $25.95 plus shipping.I was hesitant but tried it for the difference.The new one came in 4 days and wouldn't you know it wouldn't fit.Just F****** great.It looked the same but it wouldn't fit over the shoulder of the distributor type drive.I took both sensors apart and put the new electronics in the old body and it worked.The swap has been fairly trouble free.Thanks to Calesta for all the help.Whistler

Back