1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d16z6 tranny conversion

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Delsolo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Delsolo

Delsolo New Member

New to the honda scene, came from small blocks to small engines. I bought a 95 delsol with a d16z6 with an auto tranny. First thing i need to know is the conversion even worth doing. If so what parts would i need to obtain and any other advice would be helpful. tried searching couldn't really find anything.

2. mntlkase

mntlkase Local neighborhood prick!

if you're gonna go ahead and do a b series swap yes, the 5speed swap would be worth it. as far as parts, buy yourself a wrecked 95 civic for cheap and start ripping it apart! lol, seriously though, you'll need pedal set, clutch slave, clutch master, hard lines, trans, clutch, flywheel, 5spd ecu, 5spd transmission mount ( auto mount you have won't work ), shift linkage with shifter, i think thats the worst of it.

3. Delsolo

Delsolo New Member

not looking to do a swap. I want to stay with the d16. maybe ill just drop a turbo in, leave the auto tranny and call it good till my next buy.

4. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Honda 4 cylinder auto tranny + turbo usually = blown tranny. They're just not made to handle much more power then the engine that they're attached to produces.

As for the parts you'd need, it's pretty much everything that's on the manual tranny version of the car (tranny, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage, shifter, hydro lines, pedals, ECU, gauge cluster, center console piece, shift knob, boot, etc.)...

5. Delsolo

Delsolo New Member

great.. lol. The gauge cluster i have now does have Rpm on it. would i still have to get one from a 5 speed?

6. Delsolo

Delsolo New Member

What tranny would i have to get? Would any D series tranny work? I see trannys on D15's all day long in the local yards, just cant seem to find a D16z6 at all. must be a good engine?

7. egb19c

egb19c New Member

8. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

No, you don't necessarily NEED it. Keep in mind that you'll have an automatic gear indicator display that's permanently lighted up in "P" though. That would bother me, but if you're cool with it then no need to upgrade...

Any D-series tranny will work, yes. I'd look for a D16Z6 transmission though. It will have the best gearing. The D15 gearboxes are geared for economy...

9. bigtymer

bigtymer New Member

I have a eg hatch with a D16z6, right now it has the ex tranny. Is that good enough, or is their anyother that better??

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted