D16Z6 TurboEngine Build... Need Help Deciding Parts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joshisakson_

Hello Everyone,

I want to build my D16Z6 for a reliable daily driven engine. These are my goals..

1. 12-13 1/4 mile ET's (I don't know the HP/TQ required for this, I assumed 300ish)
2. I would like to keep AC/PS
3. I want it to last atleast 40k miles.
4. I want to keep it cheap, but don't want to replace cheap stuff later.

I have some idea of what I am going to need, but I don't know whats best for the D16Z6. Here is what I was thinking, let me know what you suggest I switch, or what would work for cheaper. Thank you!

-Vitara Pistons 8.5:1 Compression Ratio. 75mm bore
-Eagle Rods
-New main bearing
-ZEX 59300 Cam (I picked this only because I seen another setup with it. Is there a better cam for what I want?)
-Crower Valvetrain (same here, only because I seen it. Whats better or cheaper with same quality)
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-Skunk2 Intake Manifold (same here, is this best for price/quality? Maybe edelbrock?)
-70MM Throttle Body
-T3/T04e 57 trim .63 (same here, is this best? what else works)
-3" Exhaust (dont know what kind)
-**SSAC Turbo Manifold and Downpipe** (was thinking I'd find something new)
-DSM 450 Injectors
-Hondata (which is best)
-ACT Clutch
-Block Guard

What else guys? I want to build this right the first time. I got the Del Sol for free, it had a blown head gasket and the door got backed into. The body work is not an issue, but I don't know much about what reponds best on the D16Z6. I am mostly concerned with reliability and making sure I get my ET goal.

Thank you guys!

Looks like you have thought everything out pretty well. The only thing i would be worried about is how much power a factory d16 block can handle without sleeving. If you stay around 12-14 psi with that compression ratio i believe you will be fine. Not sure what kind of numbers you will make however.:)

Thank you very much, that is a very nice link. I am worried about the block taking it as well, I don't know if the block guard will take care of it enough or not, I also don't know if I can find a machine shop that I trust enough to install the block guard correct.

Also in regards to that link, what kind of job do you think works with those formulas all day and try's to build performance parts for Edelbrock or whomever... I think thats what I want to do with my life... Make fast cars.

Okay I figure if I can hit 115 in the 1/4 mile I should be in the 12's forsure. To do this in a 2500lbs car I need 295HP. I am worried about this. I will not sleeve this block, and now I have to decide if I want to persue this build. I got the car for free. With basic bolt ons (IE filter, intake, exhaust, pulley's, flywheel, straight cat, raised fuel pressure, hot cam, hot ignition, big throttle body, good tuning) what can I be looking at for HP? Maybe I'll do that, plus suspension and a decent body kit and sell the car to buy something else, like a GSR or something.

What do you guys think?

A. Continue build without sleeving
B. Super bolt-ons with stock internals, leaving it N/A and sell it?
C. Turbocharge stock internals and sell it?

Last edited:
Ok well I think u should do what u want as far as do the build or sell it but I know for a fact that a stock d series block can handle 22 psi on race gas and with a good tune I've seen a couple around boosting @ 18 19 psi idk if you've ever heard of jeff evens but he is a tuner in my area he tuned the full race civic on pinks anyway he tuned a ef civic with stock everything except for arp headstuds and it made 350 to the wheels and ran somewhere in the 11 if u go to epictuning.com they have a vid of the run in e-town check out turbod16.com for more info on boosted single cams

Yes I've heard of Jeff Evans, he tuned a car on turbod16.com for 350hp with basically the same setup. I have decided to bring the car back to stock, put CAI, Header, and Cat-Back exhaust along with a bumper lip, rims, and lowered suspension and sell it. I will take the money and buy another car to build, I was thinking RX-7, GSR, or N/A Supra

Back