d16z6 vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i started messing with a few things and now it revs from 1000 RPM to 1500 RPM and back. i took my hand and placed it over the throttle body intake and it killed the motor. someone told me that that was a good way to check for a vacuum leak. i also use smoke from my cigarette to check for leaks in the vacuum lines. ok so now i have no leaks, so i check that thing that bolts to the back of the intake manifold, i think its called the ivac or something. when i unplugged it, it instantly started idling smoothly. now my check engine light is on. so i am guessing that it needs to be plugged in. does any know if cleaning the ivac would help or if i should just replace it.

yes cleaning was my first opion. anything that dont include money is the best solution for me.
what is a FITV? i'm not sure what that is.

well i found out what the FITV is and i dont have one. i installed an aftermarket OBX TB, which eliminates it. so i guess checking that is out of the question.

I did clean out the IACV today and before the car warmed up i found that i had a coolant leak. after finding and fixing the leak i started the car back up and found that cleaning the IACV did fix the problem. well at least for now, we will see how it goes after a test drive tomorrow.

even without the FITV i dont have a cold idle problem. i just had an idle problem when the motor was warm. i fixed the warm idle problem by cleaning the IAVC and bleeding my coolant system.

Everyone has been a lot of help. Thanks to all that left advice.

I do believe i gave everyone rep.:thumbsup:

I hate to hijack my own thread but I was wondering if anyone could tell what kinda of hp i am pushing with my set up.

stock d16z6 vtec motor
crx si trans
68mm cold air intake
2 1/2 in exhaust w/ the cat hollowed out
OBX Racing Sports High Performance 68mm Throttle Body
Skunk2 Pro-Series Intake Manifold
P28 ecu w/ vtec working and obd1 dizzy

I haven't really done anything major, just some bolt ons. I was just looking for a ball park answer.

how could i get the low-to-midrange back and possibly add more?
you say i have to much air flow for my engine, what can i do to harness this air and make it more efficient without getting rid of my intake manifold and TB?
i wasn't sure how to word that, hope you can understand what i talking about.
how much HP will i gain with a magnaflow cat?
how could i find out how lean it is running and how would you adjust that?

Last edited:
couldn't i just put a high flow cat on instead of a magnaflow?
i can get a high flow cat for the fraction of the price a magnaflow cost.

i know what you mean by the exhaust fumes. i also know that magnaflow is a company, they only sell i think two different cats for my car and they are like $175 and $225. i was just saying would any high flow cat work?

i do have a neo speed header. so if i was to get a new cam, a valve job and a port and polish. what kind of HP would i be looking at?

what do you mean by valve job? are you just talking about having them adjusted or something different?
sorry for all the Q's but i am dumb when it comes to motors and HP, whats good and what now. i am learning though, you point me in the right direction and i have been able to figure it out. thanks a lot.

i might have been looking at the wrong product, i don't know. i am probably looking to get anywhere between 250 to 300 hp range. thats probably running the 1/4 mile in what 12 to 13's. i do have plans on getting the head port and polished. having the valves done at the same time would be the way to go. thanks for the help. i am going to read this engine build thread and see if i can understand what they are talking about.

yes i would like to go turbo one day down the road. i am going to start buying piece by piece until i have everything i need. how much HP difference are we talking about, skunk 2 vs. edelbrock im. i just bought the skunk 2 intake, i would hate to take it off and buy another one.

i know that its not something i am going to learn over night. i was just saying, i am going to try and understand what is being talked about in the engine build threads. i am dyslexic and don't comprehend what i read most of the time. what you would learn in a week, would take me two to three times as long. i have been reading a lot of ur threads, i just got done reading your motor build. looks like you really know what your doing. good job on the build.

as for the brake and suspension upgrades. DONE!! i have the teg rear disk brake system and the front bakes have also been upgraded. i'm not sure what kind of upgrade is on the front but its larger than the stock si brakes. i also have a lowered racing suspension. i am not sure what it is either it was on the car when i bought it. i know that it has lowering springs, lowering struts and the camber has been adjusted so the wheels don't wear more on the inside.

so what your saying is that i can use my IM it just wont be as effective as the edelbrock.

when i find out what kind of suspension and what the front brake system is i'll post it up.

i know what you mean when you say that everyone whats everything handed to them. i hate to be that way but i am someone who learns with my hands. i could read how to change a head gasket a hundred times and still not get it right. but if someone would show me and let me do the work i would remember it for life. thats how i learned how to change the axles in my crx.

Back