D16Z6 Winter Stored, No Start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

right, the relay ain't where the fuel pump is. totally unrelated as far as parts go. i'm telling you go get a damn relay :). the fuel pump gets primed during the ignition sequence and is ready to start sending fuel. the relay sends current/a message to use the fuel. you gotta have a good one for the message to use the fuel to get anywhere. dooo eeeet.

Last edited:
My car is still in winter storage and i do the same thing, start it up about once a week. One day i started it and went inside to warm up while it did the same. Then i just stopped hearing the engine. Went back out and it just seemed to have stalled.

Battery was fine, plugs and pump all checked out.

I figured either water got in the gas or the lines froze, put some gasline antifreeze and some water remover, hasent done it since.

Before I do that, I just tested the main relay.
Results Were:
1.Got battery voltage to the black/yellow wire on the Connector not the Relay.
2.Connected battery voltage to the #6 terminal of the relay and grounded #8 terminal and checked for continuity between #5 and #7 and GOT NOTHING and the relay didn't click.
3.Connected battery voltage to #5 and grounded #2 and checked for continuity between #1 and #3 and THERE WAS plus I heard the relay click.
4.Connected battery voltage to #3 and grounded #8 and checked for continuity between #5 and #7 and THERE WAS plus I heard the relay click again.

BTW I used an Analog Volt Ohm Meter. Haynes Book says if there was no continuity in any of the test's replace the relay, If there was continuity the relay is OK.

I tried to see if another relay from another eg hatch but not an si would work and all it did was keep my check engine light on and it still didn't fire. So I think ill need the relay made for this car right????

Nope wasn't the relay making it not work cause I bought a new one and still nothing. Ill bring it to school tomorrow and hopefully my teacher can help me figure it out. I know my fuel filter is not clogged cause I just tested it. I know im getting fuel to the rail. I know im getting good spark because its bluish/white. I doubt I have a vacuum leak cause its been stored and it started before and shut off right away. Nothing helps when I hold the throttle open. When I pulled my injector connectors it acts like it wants to start but doesn't pop and than if you keep trying to crank it, it doesn't even wanna act like it starts. This is the same for putting the injector connectors on. I guess there is only 3 possibilities I have left.
1. Either im getting too much fuel
2. Not enough spark

ok so far my advice has not been the best for you, and i don't know jack about civics (crx girl here). ignition module in the distributor is what organizes spark and fuel. i'd go there, next. :shrug2:

I swapped it from another distributor I had an still nothing cause I know im getting spark and fuel but maybe your on to something cause Maybe the ECU doesn't know how much fuel to deliver on start up

???

Did you test the fuel pressure just in case...also check you crank angle sensor and your cam angle sensor they can effect it not starting....if you think its fuel related you can take an injector out one at a time and see if it is spraying while someone cranks the car, you might have a clogged injector and its not spraying well.

I did not check the fuel pressure cause no parts store has the fuel filter adapter for the fuel pressure tester but I did test the filter and that thing is 100% clean, barely blew in it and gas came shooting out fast. I don't have a CMP or CKP sensor. This is OBD1 not OBD2. Could one clogged injector be the reason why its not starting??? Honestly the thing could start from 3 cylinders right but maybe the fuel stabalizer clogged all the injectors. I don't have a fuel pump fuse and if I do where can I find it cause My haynes manual doesn't even tell me but it does show me where the main relay(fuel pump)is and that was bad but it still won't let me start the car even with a new relay. I checked all my sensors and they seem to be normal. Thats why I'm stumped and its probably gonna be something very stupid and easy. I'm going to check my cranking vacuum really quick to verify I am getting vacuum.

?

This may sound stupid but because its in storage I would say check your grounds because one may have corroded

I have checked my ground but I can always recheck them.
Ill recheck my timing again and ignition timing. I wanna verify my belt really aint slipping.

check the ground that goes to the tranny,then check the ground on the thermostat housing...also try pulling hazard fuse in the engine bay...leave it out for like 3 minutes then put it back in...and try to start again..if not try a differant ecu

Back