d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicano

im getting a crx or hatch and was looking at getting a zc but now ive noticed the sohc vtec, now my ?s are how reliable is this engine and would i get more performance than a zc? thanx in advance for any help...

I am not an engine expert but for reliability depends on the condition of each individual engine. As for the differences, I checked the reference section and I compared the ZC engines to the D16Y8 (97-2000 civic ex SOHC vtec) and they are both about the same compression and displacement. Now the ZC pushed out a pony or two and it does not come with vtec but I think that is due to more aggressive cams (not sure but I read it on here somewhere). As for price I think you can find sohc vtec cheaper because everyone always swaps B series engines.

If I am wrong please correct me. This is my first answer to a engine question. Normally I'm asking the questions :spin:

Sorry, I'm going to have to correct you.

The ZC that most people swap in produces more power than the SOHC VTEC engines because of a few simple things... more aggressive fuel mapping (although almost nobody runs the original ECU), TWO camshafts, and a different head setup. All the other D blocks are single cams (except the 86-89 Integra).

The SOHC VTEC engines have considerably MORE aftermarket support than the DOHC ZC. They're more popular, they actually came standard in the States, and they're newer. It's very difficult to find DOHC ZC upgrade parts.

The DOHC ZC is a great engine to swap into your CRX or 4G hatch, but you won't be able to do too much to it unless you want to custom make your own pistons, rods, cams, etc. Most people strap on a turbo and call it a day. It's the easiest and really the only economical way to get additional power out of a DOHC ZC block. Now the SOHC VTEC engine on the other hand... you can put DOHC ZC pistons in it to raise your compression, choose from any number of aftermarket camshafts, even buy a Skunk2 or Edelbrock intake manifold for it etc.... there's tons of stuff out there for it. The SOHC VTEC engines are also newer than the DOHC ZC, so chances are that you'll find one in better shape.

If you want to just swap in an engine and call it quits, the DOHC ZC is probably the way to go. If you want to upgrade step by step, the SOHC VTEC is your choice.

I would definitely go with the D16Z6. It has way more aftermarket support and you can build it up for all motor relatively cheap. You can use ZC pistons and rods and that will give you a stronger bottom end with a compression ratio of 12:1. You can do this very inexpesively. Ive seen people put down between 150 to 170 hp with d16z6 all motor combinations and they were done using ZC pistons and rods. Of course you will need a nice cam, boltons, and some fuel management and tuning to get these numbers, but hey thats why people like the z6. It has tons of aftermarket support.

thanx for the replies, i was looking at one for engine/ecu from ardperformance for $895 and my last ? is since i will be using the ecu that comes with the engine do i still need a vtec controller or not cos i heard that people have used vtec controllers and set it at like 2300rpm and it ran like sh*t? thanx for all your help...

If you are planning on using the P28 ecu that comes with the engine, you will have to convert to obd 1. If you choose to do this, you will not need a VTEC controller. If you want to stay obd 0, you can use your ecu or get it chipped with a p28 program and use a VTEC controller or rpm activated switch to engage VTEC. If you choose to stay obd 0 you will also need to use d16a6 injectors and distributor.

do you know which would be better performance wise and which would be easier to do? also ard has a zc sohc vtec listed is that also the d16z6? sorry for sooo many ?s but i totally disregarded the sohc vtec and was brought back to my attention with lots of info last night...thanx again...

Yeah, the sohc zc vtec is essentially the d16z6. Yeah, I also disregarded the D as most people do, until i found out that when tuned for all motor purposes it easily rivals the b16. It is also much cheaper to build a d series for all motor compared to a b16. Performance wise, most people say converting to obd1 is better. It is also harder, but people do sell conversion harnesses for the swap. If you get your ecu chipped with a d16z6 program, you will most likely get similar results in power because the ecu will accomodate the advance in timing and the fuel curve when the z6 engages vtec. I would just use a 90 SI ecu, get it chipped with a p28 program and use a vtec controller. It is much easier. You will just have to use the 90 SI distributor and injectors. If you choose to use the SI intake manifold you will have to put the z6 fuel pressure regulator on it. I would get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, because along with that, the p28 chipping on the ecu, and a vtec controller you would be able to adjust everything precisely the way it should be. www.hyperducktuning.com is a place that does ecu chipping for relatively cheap. I think that he charges somewhere between 80 t0 150 for a chipped ecu, but you dont have to send yours in. He will send you another ecu. If you do decide to convert to obd 1 there is a guy on honda-tech forum named blown90hatch or something like that. He sells the conversion harnesses for around 180 bucks.

ok i was confused about the zc sohc vtec and d16z6, am just going to order the zc sohc vtec from ard for $700 and use si or dx tranny...do you know of any other websites with d16z6 info? and thanx again for all your hlep, was very informative....

Also, whenever you are looking for a car, make sure it is an 89 up because the splines on the tranny will not bolt up to the d16z6 if it is an 88 model.

thanx again, and this is honestly my last ?, when u said its essentially the same are all the parts the same as the d16z6 or different? thanx again...

Yeah, all the parts will be the same. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is that the usdm is rated at 125 hp and the jdm is rated at 130 hp. I cant really find a lot of info about the differences between the motors. I dont even know where the difference is power is from. Could be in the ecu or maybe the cams. But the parts will all be the same.

well thank you for all your help, i just emailed hyperducktuning to see how much itll be and get a head start, well email when all is said in done which will prolly be in sept sometime but thanx again...

Should be a fun and interesting swap. What are your plans for the motor? Do you plan on turbocharging it or going all motor?

all-motor daily driver, was looking at skunk 2 intake manifold and cam, upgrade rods and pistons and of course i/h/e....by the way how much hp does the zc vtec have, jackson racing says 105.9 at the wheels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back