D17A1 Non-VTEC into CRX possible?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timosapien

Does anyone know if this swap can be done more easily than say a D16Z6? I haven't done an engine swap before so I wanted to try one without the VTEC first. Will I still run into wiring trouble on this motor even without the VTEC? I think I'm fairly competent when it comes to working on cars, but I don't want to get in over my head on my first attempt. Thanks.

besides the fact that youll have to convert to obd2. why not just throw in a zc or a6 if its not an si?

well the d17 is a obd1 vtec gsr motor so its got vtec and if you dont hook the vtec up there you risk messing it up.and other than that its the newer civic motors you will have to cut for shift linkage and other things to make it work

Last edited:
I have an Si, but I blew my motor last week. I'm talking about the '01-'05 Civic motor here. I thought about doing a ZC or D16Z6, but I can pick up a newer '01 non-vtec motor for less than either of those and this one would definitely have the least mileage~30k. I was using this car for commuting so I'm trying to maintain good gas mileage, reliability, and trying to keep the cost down.

Last edited:
well the d17 is a obd1 vtec gsr motor so its got vtec and if you dont hook the vtec up there you risk messing it up.and other than that its the newer civic motors you will have to cut for shift linkage and other things to make it work

huh!?? The d17 is not obd1, its not vtec, and its not a gsr either. i'm assuming you're having a brainfart and thinking of the b17a1 92-93 teg gsr engine. The d17a1 is obd2 and non-vtec. Nobody makes mounts to fit this engine into the earlier chassis civics either. Everything is different about this engine when compared to 92-00 d-series engines. You're in the same boat with the 01 engine as well. It would be a massive pain in the dick trying to make this work.

I never said it was obd1, I know it's obd2. It's obd2 and non-vtec. I just wanted to know if it was possible. I was under the impression that all d series motors had the same mounts. So the d17 has different mounts?

I never said it was obd1, I know it's obd2. It's obd2 and non-vtec. I just wanted to know if it was possible. I was under the impression that all d series motors had the same mounts. So the d17 has different mounts?

i was referring to what ahhvtec said, hence why i quoted him.. and not you. and no all d-series mounts are not the same. they're actually very similar to how the k-series mounts are set up if i recall correctly. so unless your real confident and handy with a welder, i wouldnt recommend tryin this. the money it would cost you extra to make this work in your car would be better spent on the right engine combo that wouldn't take as much hell to get into your car and functioning as it should.

just do a zc swap you will get decent mileage and have plenty of power to play with
you will have no real big problems to worry about at all

huh!?? The d17 is not obd1, its not vtec, and its not a gsr either. i'm assuming you're having a brainfart and thinking of the b17a1 92-93 teg gsr engine. The d17a1 is obd2 and non-vtec. Nobody makes mounts to fit this engine into the earlier chassis civics either. Everything is different about this engine when compared to 92-00 d-series engines. You're in the same boat with the 01 engine as well. It would be a massive pain in the dick trying to make this work.
haha yup i did it happens got the damn B and D mixed up lol

Back