DA, or DC brake system change. '91 rex SI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Hey fellas. I've got a hankerin' for some better braking power. :) And don't wanna pay Wilwood over a grand for there system(although i know it's KILLER... 11.5" rotors.... 6 piston calipers... *drool*). Anyway.

My buddy has a complete DC system on his rex, and it's freaking amazing how fast he can stop. He's got the complete setup- MC, BB, PV, steering knuckes, calipers, rotors, lines..... the works(lots of invested money and time).

1. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to switch to a DC integra setup, over a DA? which to my knowledge is a pretty straight-forward(but probably a PITA), just by throwing in the new 15/16" MC and BB, as well as the Proportioning Valve from the DA in my rex.

2. When I do either swap, is it nessesary to switch to the (corresponding) teg steering knuckles, calipers and rotors?

3. Is it possible/pracicle to use DC 1" MC and BB and prop. valve with DA calipers?

After doing a little shopping around, I've found a few cool brake packages:
Complete front end brake upgrade- $500
15/16" MC upgrade- $120 - It doesnt mention it, but will I need to upgrade my BB and Prop Valve with this MC??

Thanks fellas. Hopefully this will be ok in this forum, since it's going on an EF ^_^
-Andrew

I'd just stick with the DA brakes and upgrade to some hawk hps pads. Or get acura legend brakes, that's a really cheap way to have an 11 inch rotor, 2-piston caliper setup up front.

What brake lines will I need to buy for integra conversions, or perhaps the Legend setup? Planning on running SS, but what car should I buy it for? CRX, DA, Legend, etc?

THanks bro

Dug some archive info from honda-tech for you.

Honda-Tech.com: Did my DA front brake swap tonight...

It looks like you need the knuckles from a 90-93 integra in order to use the integra front brakes. Check the archives here and at honda-tech. It's been done before. I have an integra, so I haven't done this stuff on any crx yet...

That thread has some great info, and answered most of my Q's.
Perhaps this one will help others too.

Thanks Mike.
-Andrew

Well, after doing some more research, I think I've decided on this setup.

DA Knuckles
DA 40/40 Prop valve
DA LS/GSR Master Cylinder (Does it matter performance wise?)
DA LS/GSR Brake Booster (Does it matter performance wise?)
DA Calipers
DA Either Brembo Blanks or Slotted/Drilled rotors. (Does it matter performance wise?)
Hawk HPS pads
Brake fluid. I've heard Super Blue is some really good fluid, but I've got some more research to do on fluids.

Sound like a good setup?
-Andrew

Andrew said:
Well, after doing some more research, I think I've decided on this setup.

DA Knuckles
DA 40/40 Prop valve
DA LS/GSR Master Cylinder (Does it matter performance wise?)
DA LS/GSR Brake Booster (Does it matter performance wise?)
DA Calipers
DA Either Brembo Blanks or Slotted/Drilled rotors. (Does it matter performance wise?)
Hawk HPS pads
Brake fluid. I've heard Super Blue is some really good fluid, but I've got some more research to do on fluids.

Sound like a good setup?
-Andrew

DA Knuckles - good
Prop Valve from a DA - good

Master Cylinder/Booster - Does the crx have the same brake setup as the civic of the same year? Because I have read that the civic ex models (non-abs) have the same 15/16" piston size as the DA, and are direct bolt in to the hard lines. I'd go with that MC and just keep your booster, as they are all pretty much the same thing, just different MC mounting. The LS/RS/GS MC off of any DA is 15/16". The GSr is 1", but is abs, and you'd have to find a way to plug off the ABS hole in the MC, or get all the ABS equipment.

DA Calipers - good.
Brembo Blanks - Slotted rotors are not really that great. I had them (prostops)
Hawk HPS - good.
Fluid - The super I have heard is good too, but unless you are boiling your fluid on the track all the time, I would say it's not worth the money. I picked up a quart of valvoline synthetic dot3/4 fluid, and it has better performance numbers than standard brake fluid (higher boiling temp yadayada). Is it better? I don't really know. It's cleaner than the crap I pumped out of the system, and only costs like $1 more per bottle than the regular stuff, so I'd say yes. Don't waste your hard earned cash on super blue (aka smurf giz as people like to call it) if you don't need to.

Thanks Mike, again.

I've also heard about the ___ civic ex's, 89 preludes, and ___ accord LXI's having the same bolt pattern, so I think I'll go with those.
THe only reason I kinda wanted the DA setup is b/c I for some reason thought that the booster on them was better..?.... if mine is just as good, I'll just get a larger MC(15/16's), just like you mentioned.

And one more question: ^_^

I retain my metal brake lines on the firewall, right? It will connect just fine into the new MC and PV correct?

Thanks again bro. You've been a big help.
-Andrew

yes. you keep your hardlines. That's mainly why I said to go with the EX MC, because I am not 100% sure the DA mc will be exactly the same. They look the same from the pics I've seen, but the EX mc should be bolt on without the need to buy a new booster.

Welll I'm planning on buying the MC new, so it doesnt matter what car I buy it for.

Either an 89 prelude or a ___ year civic ex.
-Andrew

Back