Daily Driver

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Foracing

I need some wise info on a Daily Driver....I am purchasing a 92 Civic Hatch....as the motor has nearly 200K miles on it....I am going to do a engine/tranny swap.....First I would like to know if any of these swaps....either B16, B18 or H22's retain the AC (I live in the Southern California Desert)....I am assuming that the H22 does not because of its obvious size difference from the stock motor......It is not going to be a race vehicle but I know I couldn't get along on the performance of the stock motor....I have owned a 00 Civic Si so I am aware of what the capabilities of a B16A2 engine is and I love it....that in a Hatch as a daily driver would be perfect.....as well I am curious as to the difficulties of the complete swap....I am sure I am capable of it but would I be better off taking it to a shop? (any suggestions?) and lettting them deal with all the little nuances that I am sure comes with the swap....Thanks in advance

OK, after reading this do a search, there are lots of topics about this. Depending on your trim cx, dx, vx, or si, will affect your swap. B16A2 (like the one found in the 99-00 SI) is OBD-2 you don't want that. You want a B16A (like the one found in the 92-95 JDM Civic SiR II) It's OBD-1 and so is your chassis. With this you can retain the AC, but I believe you need a 99-00 si ac bracket. Depending on where you buy the motor will decide what you get with your swap. The B16A mounts are direct fit, and the shift linkage, ecu, axles, etc. You will need to wire your harness and ecu for vtec if you have a cx or dx, there are wiring diagrams on this site in the articles section I believe. It's pretty straight forward, it might even be fun. Buy a Helms manual if you wanna DIY. A shop shouldn't charge more than 1k.
You don't want a H22 if your not gonna race it. A B16A will give you 170hp which will handle better than your SI's fat ass.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Mar 25 2003, 10:32 PM
OK, after reading this do a search, there are lots of topics about this. Depending on your trim cx, dx, vx, or si, will affect your swap. B16A2 (like the one found in the 99-00 SI) is OBD-2 you don't want that. You want a B16A (like the one found in the 92-95 JDM Civic SiR II) It's OBD-1 and so is your chassis. With this you can retain the AC, but I believe you need a 99-00 si ac bracket. Depending on where you buy the motor will decide what you get with your swap. The B16A mounts are direct fit, and the shift linkage, ecu, axles, etc. You will need to wire your harness and ecu for vtec if you have a cx or vx, there are wiring diagrams on this site in the articles section I believe. It's pretty straight forward, it might even be fun. Buy a Helms manual if you wanna DIY. A shop shouldn't charge more than 1k.
You don't want a H22 if your not gonna race it. A B16A will give you 170hp which will handle better than your SI's fat ass.

Beautiful....much appreciated....I have help set plenty of old school V8 Swaps and rebuilds....but haven't dipped into the bay of an import yet....the wiring is the only thing that scares me...but after I did alittle more research (I did right after I posted this (duh I know better)....thanks again though)....there seems to be plenty of information on this site alone! Thanks for the response

No prob. Helms is a manual. THE manual. helminc.comAnd there's where you get one. Depending on your swap you should get one for your car and the car your motor came out of. They run like 50 bucks each but you can sometimes find em on eBay or something cheaper.

Trim level doesn't really matter that much, really.

HCP makes an AC bracket for your car if you want to keep your AC with an H22. The rest of the swap is more of a pain though... custom axles, shift linkage, header clearance etc. You can still make the H22 handle well in your Civic.

Like T said, stick with an OBD 1 engine. OBD 2 engines cost more and require some wiring uh... "adjustments".

Back