Dam Fuse keeps blowing???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM_MUGEN21

I got a 92 civic Si hatch, and my "Washer/wiper" fuse has been blown for a few days now. its the yellow 20 fuse also called 20a. (and it is the correct fuse as shown on the example pannel)

i bought a package of the same OEM fuses and every time i replace the fuse and power up the car it blows. does anyone know what the problem is? how i can fix this? thanks

you need to check all of your wiring, but if you want a temp fix, put in a higher amp rated fuse.

well i dont want to sound like a dick or anything but cheak what wiring?? and puting in a different amp rated fuse could cause further damage as far as i kno?

well i dont want to sound like a dick or anything but cheak what wiring?? and puting in a different amp rated fuse could cause further damage as far as i kno?
well, you can check the wiring from the fuse box to any relays and the switch. make sure it isn't grounded out. check to see if any other fuses are blown. check the switch itself.

and yes it could affect the other systems in your car. but it's up to you. i don't think an extra 5 or 10 amps will blow up your fuse box.

Alright, thanks alot man. if i cant solve the problem il just bring in into a local honda dealer or shop. time for my next post.

"Thread still open for new replies"*****

Putting a fuse of a higher amperage in can and probably will cause a fire. The reason fuses are rated at a certain amperage is because that's all it takes to power that specific device. Unless you added something to that circuit DO NOT put in a higher rated fuse.

Chances are the washer pump is fucked, something else that fuse controls is fucked or there's a short in the wiring to one or more of the accessories connected with that fuse.

Don't listen to these reply's

You obviously have something wire'd up to where it is not supposed to be wired up to, that is your problem, trust me. I wired up my O2 sensor wrong, and kept blowing my alternator fuse, like every time I went above 45mph, for real, check your wireing out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u can put a higher amp fuse in it, but that will only solve the problem if the wiper motor is asking for more than 20 amps. if its grounding out no fuse will save u. even a 100 amp fuse will either pop or melt the wire somewhere. your gonna have to trace the entire wire until u find it.

u can put a higher amp fuse in it, but that will only solve the problem if the wiper motor is asking for more than 20 amps. if its grounding out no fuse will save u. even a 100 amp fuse will either pop or melt the wire somewhere. your gonna have to trace the entire wire until u find it.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Stop spreadin bullshit.

Sure he can put a higher amp fuse in, but then he's making a fire hazard. Think about it, why would a stock wiper motor or whatever accessory it is be asking for more than it's rated amperage?..... Because it's faulty or there is a short.

Find the problem, then fix it, don't try to half ass it and make it into a bigger problem.

don't tell me i don't know what im talkin about because i do, ive worked with electrcity for years now. and i said the exact same thing u said in ur first post so if im wrong your wrong. either way were both right, he needs to find the problem and fix it.

don't tell me i don't know what im talkin about because i do, ive worked with electrcity for years now. and i said the exact same thing u said in ur first post so if im wrong your wrong. either way were both right, he needs to find the problem and fix it.

Well, chose a new profession. Cause I'm right and you're wrong, I'll explain......

First, you don't know what you're talking about

Let's break it down.

u can put a higher amp fuse in it

Sure, it's possible, it's only a matter of taking one out and putting one in, but should you do it, NO. Why? Because there's the risk of fire.

but that will only solve the problem if the wiper motor is asking for more than 20 amps

No, it won't solve the problem because the device shouldn't need more power then what was called for from the factory. The part is either faulty or there is a short in the circuit.

if its grounding out no fuse will save u

It will save you, if it's grounding, the purpose of the fuse is to disable the circuit so it won't cause a fire.

even a 100 amp fuse will either pop or melt the wire somewhere.

Exactly, the fuse doing it's job. To replace a 20 amp fuse with anything rated higher when nothing higher is needed is stupid and risky. The wire would be melting because there's a short, the higher rated fuse would be causing the wires to melt. Why would someone want to do more damage by replacing it with a higher rated fuse? They wouldn't.

your gonna have to trace the entire wire until u find it.

This is the only thing you said that was even close to what I said.

wth??? so if the wiper motor IS FUCKED and for some weird reason it needs 25 amps to run now wouldn't a 30 do the job. yes it would. unless there is a ground somewhere then it wouldn't matter what rate fuse u put in it, the fuse WILL pop. ur right it could start a fire if u put a higher rated fuse in it becase it will allow more power to flow through the wire before it will pop the fuse. but if there is no ground and the motor is just messed up and for some reason needs more than 20 amps then yes u could put a higher rated fuse in, but it could cause the motor to literaly burn up.

in my limited experience with fuses blowing, my wires were bent/damaged and that was causing a short. the fuse in my fuse box would blow, the wire issue was about 15 wire feet away, 6" from the connection to the device they served. i fixed the damage by patching the wire, replaced the fuse, never had another problem. so they're right. check your damn wiring before you assume any other causes :thumbsup:.

That is weird. Not even using the wipers, it still blows the fuse? I would remove the fuse panel, something may be causing current to flow through that circuit even when its open (not in use). That or the wiper relay. Take it to a shop, they can diagnose it easily with a DMM.

Fuses have a lot to do with the wires being used. If your circuit requires a 30A fuse, the wiring associated with that fuse and its component/s will use a thicker gauge wire than a 10A fuse. Wires are usually color coded, with dotted lines or straight lines and most will have a rating on them.

im sorry i didn't see that u were sayin its blowin even with out the wipers on. thats means it most definitly is a grounding problem. good luck finding it, tracing wires is a bitch.

Back